Does your dream ego actually read?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I posted a thread similar to this months (maybe a year or two) ago, and got few meaningful replies. Perhaps I will have better luck this time.

I once had a dream in which I was approaching a movie theater. The visual imagery of the marque seemed realistic, but when my dream ego decided to focus on the marque and learn what movie was playing, the lettering dissolved into meaningless lines.

Since that dream, I realized that I have often dreamed about reading a book or a newspaper, but my dream ego never seems to actually see any meaningful printed data. The dream ego seems to know the nature of the book or newspaper article.

Pondering about this seems to have triggered some dreams in which my dream ego tried to actually read a book or newspaper. It never happens: The dream ego never sees any meaningful printed data, only an illusion of printed data.

Has anyone here ever had his/her dream ego actually read printed data?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

I read short bits of print, e.g., in my dreams, which make sense at the time. Your dream ego may be dyslexic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Maybe it can't read. In your next dream, sit it down and teach it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

A good test for finding out if you're (lucid) dreaming or not is to look at text or a clock, look away, then look back again. If it's completely different the second time you're probably in a dream.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Since the text is in your dream you don't actually have to read it.
    You made it up yourself, so you can know what it says without reading it.
    Maybe your mind just uses the symbolism of text, or books, or whatever. But doesn't find it interesting to show the actual characters.
    Do you have something of an aversion to reading in real life ?

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I see text in my dreams...though not in English...

I have these recurrent dreams of talking to someone or reading something in a foreign language, in the dream i understand the language perfectly, when I wake up I can't speak it any more.

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

Talking in tongues.

All Praise the Ancient Days

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No, but in the dream I understand it and it has meaning, when I wake up I foregt those words, how does the brain generate an entire language that does not exist in life?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Accurate graphical representation of the meaning of those words are not important in your dream, as you make the meaning up yourself you don't have to read it.
    So a symbolic (read random) text will do.

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No, i actually see those symbols, and hear those words, but I forget them when I wake up.

14. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I think that has to do with the way language works. Even this text is just a bunch of squiggly lines that your brain automatically attaches meaning to. If I canghe teh odrer of the lteters yuor barin sltil regconzies the maennig bheind the wrods.

When you're sleeping your brain might go one step further and attach meaning to completely random words, giving you the illusion that you're understanding the text when really it's just jibberish.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Then how do you know you saw them

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

But entire conversations and scripts in nonexistent languages....?

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

cos they're in my memory, but they're abstract...kind of like when something's "on the tip of your tongue" but you can't actually remember.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That was what I meant. With this in mind, please read my post again

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also, Xelios's post may be a tad clearer. He says basically the same.

20. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I read a lot when awake & enjoy reading: Fiction, non-fiction, science, mathematics, sports, newspapers, et cetra.

I am aware that the brain constructs a lot of what we think we see when we are awake. My dream experiences seem to indicate that the same mechanism creates the illusion of text on billboards, movie marques, books, et cetera for my dream dream ego.

None of my friends report instances of their dream ego reading. I was wondering about the dream experiences of others on this issue.

21. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I've had dreams where there is a readable line of information, but one glance away from it and back to what I was reading and the information changes. Or it will read consistently and then re-arrange or even dissolve the dream completely.

It is to be noted that when a great deal of focus goes into one part of a dream, the rest the dream dissolves away into another dream or dreamless sleep.

22. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I try and read little bits throughout the day so that when I am in a dream I will probably read something. There's some quite entertaining stuff to read in dreams.
    Also, if I try reading something twice it most often changes then I can tell I'm in a dream if I haven't already.

23. Yorda Registered Senior Member

it's possible to read in dreams, but if i become too conscious (lucid), then the text starts to change all the time and it can't be read. dreams consist of thoughts, and thoughts constantly change, and text is the same as thought.