quitting video games...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by chris4355, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

I am thinking of quitting video games. I spend about 10 hours a week on video games. Sometimes I feel like I am an addict. I could be playing my drums, guitar or violin, do homework or go out.

I am finding it very difficult to quit, and I am wondering if its even worth it.

Anyone here ever quit video games?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

If you wanted to really force yourself, you could just smash all your video games.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeotheLion Registered Senior Member

10 hours a week? That's it & you think you've got a problem?

That's fine, it's only an hour or 2 a day with a longer session at the weekend. Once it becomes 10 hours a day then you've got yourself a habit.

I probably play for about 10 hours a week (well, if I've got a good game - gta 4, c.o.d. 4 etc) but I still manage to hold down a job/girlfriend/social life etc.

You've got nothing to stress about man, if you think you're playing too much why not set yourself goals & treat a gaming session as a reward for yourself. Or maybe take your console(s)/'puter to a mates house for a week & see if you feel any different.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You can just quit.. :shrug:

Ask yourself this though, would you say you were addicted to playing drums if you did it 10 hours a week ?

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ya, I probably play the guitar about that much, cos I'm trying to get really good, I want to be able to play really technical stuff. Addiction??

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

As much as his 'addiction' to gaming. He also wants to get really good (I presume).
    I believe the rule here is, if the amount of time spend doing something affects your social life in a negative way to such an extend that it makes you unhappy it's an addiction.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not just play them less frequently?:shrug: You could use more time for other things and still enjoy your video games but just less time spent doing so. That might help you slowly get off the addiction.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Enmos can quit sciforums any time he wants. Can't you, En?

Btw, I know for sure that you would feel better physically if you played drums 10 hours a week instead of VGs.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If I really wanted I could.. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Yorda Registered Senior Member

if you think it's fun, why quit? what does it matter if it's an "addiction"? einstein probably was addicted to physics, but he enjoyed it, and his addiction was useful for others too. but if you think it's not fun, then you should quit.

14. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

What if you think smoking crack is fun?

15. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Then so long as it doesn't hurt anyone including yourself you should carry on.

16. draqon Banned Banned

just go outside and do activities, buy a bike and go bike, go kayak in the nearby lake or river, go walk...just walk...do something

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

HA! I don't think that makes you an addict. I know ppl who spend 5-8 hrs a day playing them. But there are ppl who throw themselves on the couch and watch TV that long too. If you enjoy playing them, why do you regret it?

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

To quote Ferris Bueller:
    Video games are fun. Hell, I've been playing them since their creation. But what you accomplish in a game is meaningless. Completely.

The problem with online games is they don't ever end. So it's really easy to lose track of time, and yes, you can be addicted.

Online games offer a kind of respect and power that most people don't get in their regular life. Just like alcohol, some people can handle it...some go crazy and can't get enough, forsaking all else.

As a general rule, if your wondering if you have a problem with something, you probably do.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Ten hours a week isn't much a problem. I'm a mild gamer, but every now and again if a really good game is out, I can become addicted.

For instance, Oblivion had me playing all day when I was off, stopping only for sleep.

20. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

You could say your addicted to videogames but are you really addicted to the internet.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. Society is much less tolerant of normal human tendencies than it used to be. Once upon a time you were just seen as being really into something, now it's pathologised as an 'addiction'.

22. draqon Banned Banned

Actually what is happening is that the spectrum of what is tolerated has widened tremendously for normal human tendencies...in past men or women had to obey much stricter rules then now. The so called addictions have not occurred in such a greater spectrum as they do now...there are just so many new possibilities of what to be addicted by now.

23. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Its hard to prioritize what to do with free time. It is a blessing really, most people in history didn't have all this free time. Anyway, it sounds like you are not getting much satisfaction out of games so you should probably cut back. I would suggest doing something more creative. Consumption vs creation should be balanced. I think too many people are 100% consume and if they would find a creative outlet they would be happier.