DO you think this is racial descrimination...or not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lemming, Jun 26, 2008.

?

Was it a racist statement?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Deffinatly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. He's Just upset he didn't get the job

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Lemming Registered Member

A member of the Metropolitan Police Authority today insisted they were right not to promote Britain’s most senior Asian officer to a top post at Scotland Yard.

They spoke out after it emerged that Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur is preparing to sue his own force for racial discrimination.

He is said to be angered over a series of issues, including being passed over for promotion to the post of deputy commissioner, which went to Paul Stephenson.

MPA member Jenny Jones, who sat on the panel which decided the appointment, said the decision was made on ability alone and had nothing to do with race.

She told the Standard today: 'He was not the strongest candidate and that had nothing to do with anything except ability.

'I was sitting on that panel and it appears he is now calling me a racist. I am fairly angry about that.'

Other members of the authority, which decides the appointments of senior Met officers, are also said to be incensed at the accusations.

MPA chairman Len Duvall, who will be named personally in the action by Mr Ghaffur, was issuing a statement this morning.

He was also expected to defend the decision not to appoint Mr Ghaffur and was described as 'deeply disappointed' by the latest claims.

Speaking on BBC’s Newsnight last Ms Jones said: 'I hope very much that if there is any hint of racism it will be exposed but I personally have never witnessed any.

'I would like this to be resolved amicably, but once you make racist slurs against people and name them it is going to be so much harder.'

Hurt: Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair will be quizzed on racism claims
    Mr Ghaffur, 53, who is Britain’s most senior Muslim officer, is said to be taking action after a series of issues that he claims have left him isolated among the senior ranks of the Yard.

He will hold a meeting with Met Commissioner Sir Ian Blair over the issue in the next few days.

Relations between the two are understood to have become so strained they only speak to each other in formal, minuted meetings.

Sir Ian, who is said to be 'hurt' over the allegations of racism, will face questions from MPA members at a meeting today.

A source said: 'Everyone knows that there is not a racist bone in his body. He is hurt by these claims.'

Mr Ghaffur is said to be upset that he has been sidelined from his role as the head of security preparations for the 2012 Olympics, and that his contract has not been renewed beyond March next year.

He has made it clear he wants to stay in post until the Olympics but the Yard has appointed another senior officer to work with him, who is seen as his successor.

The latest claims come just days after another senior Met officer levelled claims of racism against Scotland Yard.

Commander Shabir Hussain, 45, accused Sir Ian of excluding black and Asian detectives in favour of a 'golden circle' of white officers.

The claims of racism will heap extra pressure on Sir Ian at a time when he is preparing for the inquest in September into the shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell in 2005.

----------------------------

I think, that this is just anouther case of Muslims playing the race card because he was told that he couldn't have somthing he wanted!!

What do you think, do you think it's a racsist statement or do you think they should be allowed to refuse Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur the position?

------------------------------

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1029614/Met-watchdog-We-right-reject-Muslim-officer-job.html

----------------------------

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Any reasonable person would want MUCH more information than that before deciding if racisim was involved. That's far to little to make an informed decision on and while considering it, emotions should be left completely out of the picture.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

Yeah, I'm sure the court of public opinion will take one side or the other on this, and both sides of the issue will be strong, but neither will be informed.

Without more information, how can you say it was racism? And also, how can you say this is just another Muslim playing the race card? First, Islam isn't a race, it's a religion. Second, how can you come to that conclusion without knowing the facts?

Edit: I just noticed that the poll options are "Yes", "No", "Definately", and "He's just upset he didn't get the job". So you have two yes options, and two no options...strange. Also, where is the "Undecided" option?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ill tell you if it was racist or not after you post the decision (preferably with the judges remarks) of the equal opotunity commission

8. Lemming Registered Member

well i posted it for a reason because S.A.M was just saying in a differant thread that the Polish are rude, and i bought up the fact that if the polish went for a job and didn't get it, they would not stomp they're feet, throw they're toys out of they're prams like muslims would and it was just a coincidence that this story was posted on the news this morning!

it#s just proof to me that Muslim people will play the race card if they are refused a job, for christ sake, if the MET police cannot refuse a Muslim a job then what chance is there for other smaller businesses to do so purely on merit!

9. Balerion Banned Banned

For Christ's sake, stop calling it "the race card". Islam is not a race. Say "they are playing the religion card".

You can't fight bigotry with more bigotry. That is just lowering yourself to that troll's level.

10. tim840 Registered Senior Member

"Was it a racist statement?"

What statement? Where was a specific statement referred to in the OP? Did you mean to say decision? A racist decision? If so, there is no way possible that I could tell from just that.

11. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I voted that he was just upset he didn't get the job, but only because he's asian

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

You can't really say all of that so generaly speaking, as if all polish would not complain and all muslims will, also islam is a religion not a race.

peace.