Real IDs vs Fake IDs: How Can You Tell the Difference?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CutsieMarie89, Jun 24, 2008.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I went to Las Vegas, Nevada this past week and had a miserable time. I was carded every 5-10 minutes by different security guards (sometimes the same ones, guess they were trying to make sure I hadn't gotten any younger). Even though I used my real ID I was accused of having a fake one not once, but four times. So do fake IDs look just as good as real ones? How can you tell the difference?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I cant speak for the US system but in australia they are delibratly very had to copy

Ok there are only 4 legally alowable forms of ID

1) pasport (everyone knows the security that goes into them)
    2) Drivers licence (now leaners permits are accepted as well)
    3) Proof of age card (issued by the liquor licencing board)
    4) Key pass (issued by the police)

Now the last three have the same security devices, embeded holograms, holographic windows ect that plastic money does.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Good ones are very hard to spot. Especially if your visiting from another state or country because law officals don't know what they are looking at when given say a drivers licence from Alaska when they are in Las Vegas. You get what you pay for in the fake ID areas.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cosmic dont you have national standeds?

All our licences are the same (though the holograms have different state crests for instance). I know this because when i canged my licence to an SA licence they had to send the photo to victoria to print the new licence

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There is an easy way to tell the difference:

If you burn the ID, fake ones leave grey ash, real ones black ash. Now you know....

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you are still using paper?

WOW, all our ID's are plastic like credit cards

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

drivers licenses are hard to copy, but not all that hard to alter if you have plenty of time and a steady hand. ive been using a fake ID since i was 16 without any problems, oddly enough now that ive had my license reprinted a lot of publicans accuse me of using someone elses ID since the license format changed last year and my picture looks out of place.

another good technique is to get an older siblings ID, my younger brother looks similar enough to use mine.

EDIT: also, if you have a foreign drivers license or passport people are far less likely to pick up whether its fake or altered. some people wont accept them as ID though, legally only NZ/OZ driver licenses, passports and 18+ cards are usable here.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

vslayer how do your licences work?

ours have the photos printed directly onto the plastic i belive, there is nothing to lift up and subsitute

12. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i'm still amused at americans with their crappy paper money. our money's so much more visually pleasing, the pretty colours and patterns. a full australian wallet is a delight to behold.

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the photos are printed on there, with holograms over them and all, the date of birth however is easily manipulated with a hot needle and some black ink.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Each state, it seems, has its own way of doing things in the form of licenses and each state does what it wants in making its own judgment as to how they are made and what they should contain.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You can't burn plastic? By the way it was a joke...

To the OP: The reason why they take this so seriously in Vegas, because if a minor is caught in the gambling or drinking areas, they can lose their licence, so they would rather err on blocking some old enough to gamble but young looking people...

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

See if men had rings just like trees. They wouldn't have to carry ID, just wip out their dick and count the rings to see how old they are.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What about women? :shrug: Can I count your ??????

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I've never had a fake ID so I figured that the ones they have now must be really good if my real ID was mistaken for a fake one so many times. Even though I was annoyed about being asked for my ID so many times, that didn't bother me it was the harassment that got me angry. I figured my driver's ID would be ample verification of my age. I wasn't even gambling. They took to the security box and asked me all of these dumb questions trying to get me to slip up and admit that I was still in high school or say the wrong birthday. I was so mad. :frust:

19. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if they are harassing you then just dont go in. the more customers they piss off the less money they make.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually if they are harrasing you then complaine to the liquor licencing board. They are surposed to leave you alone once you show ID unless there is a reason not to (like your drunk)

21. draqon Banned Banned

you must look young or something...

22. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

you should have asked THEM this question,
    HOW can they tell if its real or not?

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Next time take a passport. Kind of hard to fake...