Obama Declines Public Financing of Campaign

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 20, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

In a move that signify s the breaking of his first campaign promise, Obama is the first US presidential candidate to refuse the public financing system in the general election since its creation after watergate.

Obama has previously pledged to stay in the public financing system if his Republican opponent agreed to do so and is supposedly a big supporter of public financing of elections. Well, McCain says he's in, but Obama says: Fuck what I said earlier!!!!! I'm raising a shitload of money!!!! Why let a little thing like honesty hold me back?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats why the US needs to legislate that ONLY goverment funds can be used in political campaining. To be fair the amount of money needs to be linked to the job sort (for instance its not fair to give a presidential campaine only the same finances you would give to someone runing for a city district in a council election)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Barack Obama is about change. Your change. Pocket change, that is. Give it all to him. All those saved up pennies. If not now, he'll just make you give it to him when he raise taxes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

McCain already broke this promise.

Back a couple of months, when he pledged the public funds as collateral for a loan and then found he needed more money.

The Reps (and certain Dems) have been blocking serioous campaign finance reform for years, under the assumption that reliance on private donations favored them, and institutionalized influence peddling favored the representatives of the rich. After this performance by the Obama campaign, we may see some real bipartisan support for modification of the this system.