Cure for Cancer?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 19, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This is pretty cool. A man with malignant, metastatic cancer was cured by extracting some of his immune cells, cloning them, then injecting them back into his body.

This interests me because I remember suggesting a similiar treatment for HIV to my prof back in immunology. She said my HIV cure would work, but like the cure for this guy, it would be too expensive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes I know of that HIV cure hypothesis, extract immune stem cells from the bone marrow, engineered them HIV proof, reinsert, the process would be long and expensive but in theory it would prove a person with T Cell (an other immune cells) immunity to HIV infection and thus the person would never get AIDS.

As for this threatment for cancer people have been proposing it for years, and animals studies were done, now we are seeing the first human trials, My bet is that it will not work on all types of cancers but hopefully it will work for most.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

So how exactly does this work?
    Anyone got specifics of the process? Were do the cells get extracted? What tools are used? How are immune cells isolated? How do we ingineer them HIV proof exactly? And then what process is used to mass clone cells? And then were do all these cells are injected?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well Dragon there so much to cover, start with one question.

9. draqon Banned Banned

How are the cells to be extracted are found in the body and what methods are used to extract those immunity cells?

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think that has very limited applications. Their version requires that a laser beam be able to reach the malignant cells. Not very useful for an internal organ cancer or even metastased skin cancer. (If caught early melanoma is easily cured by surgical removal.)

You RF energy heating will reach deeper, but not be significantly absorbed by gold particle with diameter much smaller that the wavelength. Thermal destruction of internal cancers with focused micowaves is an old idea (more than 50 years). Very similar to using X-ray to destroy but both have been replaced with more selective methods (“magic bullets” targeting the cancer cells).

There are dozens of unique structures preferentially expressed on cancer cells in addition to the 6 different variants of VEGF. Genentech’s Avastin, is a monoclonal antibody, a first generation cancer cell targeting drug, already with more than billion dollars in sales. As cancers are rapidly growing and dividing, they need many more of the VEGF sites than healthy cells as these sites are need to cause capillaries to come and supply oxygen and sugars etc. But Avastin only stops the cancer’s growth (very useful as then the body has time to kill it)

Peregrine’s drug, still in development, bavituximab, also a monoclonal antibody, targets phosphatidylserine molecules [PS] presented on the outer side of cancer blood vessel cells. In normal, healthy vascular cells, PS is tightly segregated to the internal side of the cell. This “flipping to the outside” has been observed in lung, breast, prostate and pancreatic cancer, among others. Monoclonal antibodies that are injected into the blood stream can recognize only targets that are presented on the external side of cells. Thus healthy cells that have PS exclusively on their inner side will be unaffected, while cancer blood vessels would be targeted by the antibody exclusively. It has the potential to kill the already well vascularized cancer. I own PPHM stock and several others also working on what could be called “second generation Magic Bullets.” It is a whole new field for me to learn about and possible make some money by doing so. I love to learn (all the better if I also profit, but I do not need more money so the learning is the main motive.)

Those gold nanoparticles are if anything the 0th generation (a 50+ year old thermal killing approach with new twist and rarely applicable.) If you want to look at some exciting nanoparticle technology see: www.starpharma.com (I also own a lot of them.) It is US traded Australian ADR with symbol SPHRY (with great future, MHO, and also protection against the collapse of the dollar.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  12. kmguru Staff Member

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i was listening to an article this morning on this. The oncologist they were talking to said that not only did this need further testing but that it is quite possible it would only work for certain types of cancers.

For instance melanoma (the cancer this was used to treat) has a history of going into sudden remission, suggesting that its more susceptible to the natural immune system than other types of cancers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  14. kmguru Staff Member

Transfered from another thread....

Melanoma Treated In One Patient With Experimental Immunotherapy

A man who had advanced deadly skin cancer was completely cured with an experimental treatment. However, the case was the small study's only definite success. The treatment involved immunotherapy, which consists of exciting the immune system to kill the cancer on its own.
    -------------------

I wonder we can devise an automated machine that can take ones blood and 3 days later produce a dozen vials of his T-Cells for solving many issues. Is that doable? Would there be a market for it?

15. draqon Banned Banned

It is doable...but who would fund so many millions of dollars into it?

16. draqon Banned Banned