Fuel Cell Problem?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Skye, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skye Registered Member

I just have a question about hydrogen fuel cells. If the exhaust is just water vapor, will there ever be a problem in the future with all this extra water that is being made. It just seems to me that if all this water is going to be created out of hydrogen and oxygen the water has to go somewhere. After hundreds of years of creating extra water will there be higher sea levels or flooding? Or am I missing something here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

water will create problems with corrosion of metal...

water is a greenhouse effect molecule as well...depending on how much water vapor goes into atmosphere will effect the greenhouse effect further on.

water can be recycled to produce that hydrogen and oxygen...so it all goes through a cycle...which is good.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I think you missed something very important. The water they use is the only water that will evaporate or be emitted from the vehicle. So what you put in is what you get out no more , no less. As to corrosion they now make stainless steel tanks or fiberglass which won't corrode.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

One of the exhaust products from gasoline is also water. Water tends to fall out of the atmosphere at a equilibrium that beyond are control (because there is 'like oceans' of the stuff) so adding a little water vapor won't really do anything because the exiting stock is so huge, CO2 levels on the other hand we have increased by significants percentages.

Also the ideal hydrogen economy works by turning water into hydrogen and oxygen and then a fuel cell somewhere turns hydrogen and oxygen back into water, so it makes a neat little cycle, not net input by energy.

8. ArcTerjus Registered Member

If you were to gather the hydrogen from space, like from the sun or other stars, then there would be a problem of using fuel cells, since you would use up the oxygen in our atmosphere. But hopefully future generations will be smart enough to think of such things

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Don't worry - there is nothing in space worth the cost of bringing it to Earth, not even from the moon (although some think He3 might be both there and worth it) I think it is neither (there nor worth it if it were) but why was explained in post too old to find. I do not know -just guessing - but bet it costs more, much more, than a million dollars to bring one dollar worth of H2 from space to Earth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.