Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Michael, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I bought a new laptop. Toshiba Satellite. I was hoping to get a machine with XP but I was in a hurry and so I picked up this one with Windows Vista home addition. So far the machine runs fast and hasn't given me any problems with the exception of MS office XP. I'm having a problem integrating Reference manager 10.01 with office. Also, even though I loaded OfficeXP sometimes the machine tries to open Office2007 (and then sell it to me). Hopefully I can get the RefMan working soon.

Which brings me to my question. Does any scientist here use RefMan 10 and do they have Windows Vista. Did it give you any problems and could you fix it? If so how?

Cheers
    Michael

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Unrelated question michael - what's RefMan like? - I used to use EndNote because I got it for free from the university, but they are no longer supplying licences fot it any more so i need to buy my own.
    RefMan is nearly twice the price of EndNote - is it twice as good?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Toshiba's Satellite's are pretty good systems, I've been running a P105-9337 for about a year now with no real problems. Admittedly I've Vista Ultimate on it and well you will find some people complain about Vista for various reasons, personally I've only had a few problems here and there but only when dealing with Legacy software.

Something I found a little weird with the inbuilt attempt to sell Office was that if you close the registration screen like you disagree, you can actually still use the programs. I haven't however seen the depth of usage because I like many others tend to load up OpenOffice because it's free and can pretty much do everything that MS Office can do.

As for problems running Legacy software with Vista, well it's really dependent on what you have happen. Does it just crash out with an error message? does there seem to be transparency issues? etc.

For the most part what you can do is alter the way the program executes, make sure it runs in legacy mode. (XP/2000)

There is also the Refman support page:
    http://www.refman.com/rmvista.asp

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure, I mean, it has a lot of problems but I never used endnote. Almost everyone uses endnote so I would stick with it if you have already started with it.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Thanks Stryder,
    I'll give it a read and see if it helps.

Cheers,
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.