Inside the Endoresment of a Al Franken

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElectricFetus, Jun 9, 2008.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Their I was at the DFL state convention in Minnesota. In the middle of a very crowded convention center, alternate delegates were trying to get into the coming action but all of us delegates were in for today, we did not want to miss this!

For those who don't know about this tiny political event out in "the woods" Here a review:
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/06/07/al-franken-wins-key-senate-endorsement-in-minnesota/

Now back to what was happening inside...

Generally we all knew Al Franken had a giant mountain of crap that the republicans will sling at him on a hourly bases from now on, a kind of media chum bucket frenzy the likes our weird little stated does not want again! Here is an example: http://www.minnesotademocratsexpose...excerpts-of-franken’s-graphic-playboy-column/ Al's competitor Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer on the other had is probably the closes to clean as can be imagined. For example Al wrote books such as "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" which though funny did not exactly win him love from the republicans and independents. Jack on the other had wrote books such as "Hunger for Justice: the Politics of Food and Faith." which was like all his books talks helping the poor and consolidating ones Christian faith.

Sooo why did we not vote for Jack? Well the cons of Jack were minor and few: jack had little money, or fame, but so did alot of other people who ran and won seats in the senate, but the real problem was Jack did not get his name well known until to Minnesota until after the caucuses, which means most of the delegates had been chosen in the caucus to vote for Al, we were obligated to vote for Al, though we were free to change our minds, most felt that was immoral (not I).

Anyways the way it worked was if Al got 60% or more it was over, but if Al had got less we would vote again, many delegates said openly that ones completeing their "obligation" to vote for Al in the first vote they could vote their conscience in the second, unfortunately this assumed enough of them would have the moral flexibility to vote Jack in with 40% to begin with.

Al won by 61-62%, just barely over the line. we will never know the exact number because these were simply the rumored tally as the actually tally was never officially announced, Jack conceded before the announcement of the tally, perhaps to save face or to make Al appear the unanimous winner, because Al is going to need all the help he can get and weakness would likely cause Mike Cirrisi and Jessy Ventura to run.

In short Al is doomed, Minnesota is doomed with this election season to be a political circus the likes of which we have not seen since Jesse Ventura!

In short I want you to know that if not for the moral stupidity of the delegates elected these would not have happened, just a few percentage points more for Jack and we would not have a clown who strong armed his way with millions of dollars to run for senate. Just had to get that off my chest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Jesse Ventura won.

Pallmeyer did not have a chance. He needed to do some politicking, like Wellstone did, and he didn't. Wellstone did not win his elections easily. Nobody knows who the hell Jack is. He sounds like one of those lefties who will set your car on fire trying to help you jump a dead battery.

Meanwhile, Al is not doomed. Try Jesse's observation of Norm on for size: "He's never had a real job".

Al has had real jobs.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah but it helped make my state a laughing stock.

I'll grant you that, we did not believe either candidate was ideal. Jack should have started small fry for state senator, what with all these egos that think they can fly to the top?

How is professional comedian and Bizarro version of Rush Limbaugh a job? I would consider a peace corp officer and professor more of a job.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Franken is a political comedian. he has to know what the issues are and understand them to consistently make good comedy of it.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

As Jesse pointed out, Norm has been a government employee all his life.

We're talking comparative voter appeal, for Franken. He's not doomed.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sure he does, after speaking with the man in detail I don't question the quality of senator he may become, rather I question his electability: you don't exactly win over a majority of the electorate by jabbing hot coals up your opponents party's ass, and same in the case of his many many MANY hillarious but disgusting and disreputable comedian writings and skits.

Also you did not see the man debate, he debates like shit, comedy is his only talent, when trying the be serious he really is not a great speaker.

Perhaps, but their is a significants percentage of the electorate that hate him as the democrat version of Rush, Al has at best managed to match parody with Norm in the poll and has fallen in the poll as more and more scandalous material has come out.