Dont call me European!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by w1z4rd, Jun 8, 2008.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

With white South Africans trying to find identity in the new South Africa, the new generation of youth who were not involved in Apartheid have started shouting out at the "colonial" labels everyone loves giving us, and using as an excuse.

A song from a band called the Transkei Cowboys:

http://www.pickledbushman.com/tc/Transkei_Cowboys_Af_Freak_can.mp3

The terms European and African should remain regional titles and not skin colors.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Sorry W1z4rd,

All I can think of is the scene from Monty Python and the holy grail where the bridgekeeper asks Lancelot the air speed velocity of a swallow and Lancelot replies " what? African or European?"...AAArrrggghhh!!!

Besides, I doubt anybody is calling anybody Africans or Europeans.
    I've got avriggens, effrikkens, airf rikerns and europins, europair-uns yooropeenz rattling around in my head.

Stairnd tawl brutha! Darnt tek enny shit frorm thorse filthy keffirs!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

wtf... er nooit bru, jy praat kak

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

FYI, I get old ALL the time I cant be African cause I am white.

8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Ah, yeah I think I got that.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you are born in Africa doesn't that make you African by birthright? :shrug:

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does the word "African American" say anything to you? Or Negro?

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

The term "African" means "black" in most people's minds.

How about "white" or whatever "white" is in Afrikans?

Also, why the fuck would you want to be identified with Africa? It is the worse continent on the planet.

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Er. maybe because he lives there. Just a guess.

Define worst.

13. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

In the U.S., people born in the U.S. aren't Native Americans unless they're of Indian decent (as in N. American Indian). Go figure.
    It's all about political correctness.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats because native traditions, culture, language etc were forcefully replaced. Natives were sent to school to make them assimilate in a society that was enforced upon them. They were mocked or punished for following their own culture. Its like saying that British colonialists were not native Indians; even if several were born there over 200 years, but the Mughals disappeared into the Indian diaspora without anyone speaking Turkic. The difference between India and South Africa is that in India, the British left.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

This happened a little bit here in the US, but not so much as in Canada. For the most part, we let the natives do their own things on their dwindling patches of land.

It's true that not all native tribes were forced onto reservations, but, for the most part, those who weren't have pretty much vanished entirely. Absorbed into the country as a whole. Not because they were forced to, but because they chose to.

I take it you don't like the idea of a melting pot?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on the melting. Indians have had several incursions over 5000 years, but conformity has never been enforced on anyone, no matter how varied the difference in outlook, religion, ethnicity. People gain identities as they are presented, so if black South Africans do not consider white native born South Africans as natives it because of how the identities were enforced upon them. Like Tom Alter, an Indian-born American, you can choose to be American or you can choose to be Indian, but if you look down on Indians, you'll never be considered one. Or as the Saudis tell the Israelis, if you want to be considered a brother, don't act like a foreigner.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Most of the people in South Africa are descendants of immigrants within the past couple of thousand years. Two or three waves of Bantu, and more recently Afrikaans. http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/bantu.html

There are some "native" people to the region, in the sense that we don't know exactly when they arrived, but they aren't as violently involved in this controversy. The Bantu did not treat them well, nor did the Afrikaans.

Hardly a free choice. And in fact many the disappearances would be fairly described as exterminations, not assimilations. There might be some traces of the genetics around, but the people identified as belonging to those tribes disappeared by becoming dead and leaving no descendants.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Nice band.

Nice song.

I suppose the past still has an effect on you.

19. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

FYI every Zim or Saffa I have ever met most definitely considers themselves an African - quite right too.