Australians for inbreeding!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Scientists, that is:

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23792218-2761,00.html

"Western Australian scientists are challenging the myth that inbreeding always leads to unhealthy babies.

Australian research published in 2001 showed that babies born to first-cousins are nearly three times more likely to have serious birth defects.

But Professor Alan Bittles, an adjunct professor at the Centre for Comparative Genomics at Murdoch University, who has spent 30 years researching the topic says most children born to first-cousins are healthy.

In WA, about 500 marriages are between first-cousins.

“In Western culture there is a general belief that first cousin marriages lead to negative genetic outcomes, yet a large majority of children born to first cousins are healthy,” he said.

He found that only 1.2 per cent suffered higher infant mortality rates, a find similar to another review from 2002 that suggested first-cousin children are less than 3 per cent more likely to have genetic deformities.

Einstein and Darwin married their first-cousins, so did Jerry Lee Lewis and Jessie James and according to Prof. Bittles about 500 West Australians have followed suit."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I never heard the myth that inbreeding always leads to unhealthy babies. I did hear it increases the chances of problems. I assume that this also increases not just in the first generation but in later ones where repeated in-family marriages occur. That all babies would be unhealthy must be a rare belief.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I don't think the article said always. It said increased chance.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its not a risk I would be willing to take. Or rather, a risk my child should take. If I just can't control myself and have to be with a relative, I'm not having kids. I'll adopt.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

On the other hand you can save a lot on the wedding, because just one family is invited...

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What if your parents adopted you? Would it still be ok to sleep with a member of your family, even though they are NOT REALLY your blood relatives in any way?

Like a brother, sister, cousin, uncle, aunt whatever? I still think that is wrong.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

How about if a real brother and sister want to marry, and they are both over 50? They are not going to have children, so 2 consenting adults...

11. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

12. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think they should be allowed to marry. Just because I don't personally approve and it seems kind of gross to me, doesn't give me the right to tell them how to live their lives. If both parties are consenting... then they should be able to marry.