ACTA...Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Carcano, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Can anyone confirm or expand on what this international agreement means.

http://www.dailytech.com/Canadian P...es iPods at Border Crossings/article11885.htm

So far, it seems that three possibilities are on the table:

1. Torrent sites which 'facilitate copyright infringment' will be made illegal.

2. Computer storage of all kinds can be seized and destroyed at border crossings.

3. Governments will require ISPs to provide them with logs of all user downloads.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Creeptology Registered Member

wtf have people lost it completely. What do they class as illegal material since many people could encode cd's they have purchased legally. Do they also search the homes of these people to see what is on their portable player is legally owned? Obviously not. I have many things on my hdd that I have bought, also my eldest stepson has many songs on his mp3 player I encoded for him and the only way establish he actually owns them is look on my self at home for the origianl source. This is too f**king far.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

This would be a direct violation of the reason we have levies on blank CD's in Canada. If they enact this they better take those levies off. Better yet, don't enact this law at all.

Canada at least has a minority government right now, one wrong move and we're back to an election, so I don't think they'll take any chances on legislation that could anger a lot of people. Course people only get angry if they know what they're supposed to be angry about...

Maybe this will be mentioned at the Net Neutrality rally on Parliament Hill today.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

We all know, Canada is a slave to Hollywood. This is to attract movie production in Canada....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.