Big Bang theory questions

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by sly1, May 21, 2008.

1. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Ok so if its "known" that matter and energy cannot be created or destroy then how the hell does the big bang theory make sense? just because the universe is expanding?

If matter and energy cannot be created that means they have ALWAYS existed no?

is the big bang theory the only exception to those fundamental laws?

Also if the big bang IS in fact legitimate that would imply a cycle that returns the universe back to the initial "bang" starting all over again.

Also if energy is the movement of mass through space then movement also cannot be created or destroyed and there for always existed? or am I misundertanding something?

so if matter, energy, and movement have always existed then TIME a measurement of the movement of matter through space aka energy has too always existed?

If im missundertanding something please correct me.....as this is just puzzleing to me how the big bang theory holds water when its only eveidence "the universe is expanding"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

The first is a fallacy. The universe had everything to begin with, so energy was unfolded into the spontaneous appearance of spacetime. So nothing can be created, because it already exists, and nothing can be destroyed completely, because this would violate the information paradox.

Big bang isn't the only theory. Ekpyrotic Theory can answer for matter and energy, space and time in totally different ways. In this theory, energy exists dormant for eons, until excited by its spacetime smashing into another brane... universe.

Big bang can start again, in theory. This is the Cyclic Theory of Cosmology.

Movement is essential and intrinsic. Movement happens, even at absolute zero-temperatures. This means a particle can never be at rest.

There you go

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

If you could freeze the entire vacuum down to absolute zero-temperatures, there is still a lot of movement, and this is caused by the zero-point energy field, by the way.

Just to be clearer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

thanks for the reply! and info! the Ekpyrotic theory seems a bit more complicated then the big bang. How does energy exist in a dorman state?

sorry for the "if this then that" posting but thats the only way i can explain this....but

if energy is dormant then that would mean movement as well would have to be "dormant" and by dormant i assume you mean temporarily non existant.

I dont see how energy can be "dormant" ??

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  8. Reiku Banned Banned

Not clued up entirely on the theory, but it seems to me that energy is possibly ''stuck'' or ''frozen'', along with time and space... It seems wierd yes... i agree...

I suppose this answers the other question. If everything is frozen, then this also means movement... but this is a very special case. It states that our universe to have active energy and movement, it requires the existence of another universe which smashes into our own universe, every multi-trillion years or so.

... but i am not entirely clued up on the theory. You might want to check wiki for answers to your questions concerning Ekpyrotic Theory, assuming they have a page. They have nearly everything anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me

9. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

yea that theory is definately odd i'll wiki it and see what i can learn. thanks again for the responses/info

10. Reiku Banned Banned

That's cool.

11. CptBork Valued Senior Member

The plain and simple answer is, noone knows where all that stuff came from. Until we have a unified theory that includes quantum physics and general relativity, we won't be able to say anything about the earliest moments of the Big Bang or speculate on how it all began. Even if we find that unified theory and even if we've been able to test it, it still might not fully answer this question.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

True.

But there is the possibility we can reduce logic and math, so that only a limited amount of theories can possibly explain the beginning of time... and we may be able to answer the beginning of time, if we reduce them completely...

''Once you eliminate what is possible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must remain the truth...''

Sherlock Holmes

13. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

which in this case there are so many possibilities it is not possible to eliminate them all. Therefor the only possibility is one that we did not think of.....lol

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Only one way - logically: The Big Crunch.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The energy/matter of the big bang is balanced by the gravitational potential energy. In other words, no net energy creation was involved.

In a Nature article in 1973, E. Tryon sketched an argument that the negative gravitational potential energy of the universe has the same magnitude as the positive energy contained in its contents (matter and radiation), and hence the total energy of the universe is indeed zero (or at least close to zero).

16. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

LOL

17. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If our universe was created, maybe there is an opposite reaction (whatever that is) somewhere else which balances out? Maybe another universe or "something" collapses elsewhere?

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No.
    Matter and energy cannot be created with the laws of physics as they are now.
    One of the problems with the big bang (or rather the understanding of it) is that physics breaks down...
    Therefore assuming the rules that hold now now held then is merely an assumption and cannot be proven.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

The only reason why the laws of physics break down, is because at a singular region, there is no viable math that contribute to the existence of matter and energy itself. To have an infinite amount of energy at t=0, would possibly mean there was some kind of mechanism that did actually ''create energy itself.''

20. Reiku Banned Banned

A singular region, to many respects, is the closest we will understand God.

21. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Sly1, It boils down to we don't know, but when you try to get comfortable with the "standard" Big Bang Theory, many people aren't satisfied.

That has given rise to a variety of alternative cosmologies that don't stand up any better that BBT because when ever observational evidence is added to the body of knowledge, Big Bang Theory is adjusted to accommodate it, leaving only the questions that science cannot answer.

However, alternative cosmologies serve a scientific purpose because it is Human nature to keep digging, and alternative ideas can both lead to new experiments and proofs, and also can help scout up new funding. It is a win win. Keep asking the hard questions and learn how to decide what YOU think are the best answers to the imponderables

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  22. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Given finitely many points there are infinitely many polynomials going through them.