Less Blood day

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by CutsieMarie89, May 12, 2008.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

When I was in high school and the blood donation people would come. Students used to give blood to get the feeling that they were high. So I tried it to see what it was like and I didn't feel to great. Have you ever donated or lost a lot of blood what did it feel like to you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Donated? No.

Lost a lot of blood? Yes. A couple of times I passed out cold. As in dropped like a stone. One time I had to be rushed to the hospital and when we got there, I was incoherent and really out of it. Wouldn't consider it being high. Just this really sickening spaced out feeling mixed in with nausea, and then the bone chilling cold and shivering. But I guess what I felt was most akin to shock due to the loss in the first place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Exactly. I don't think you can equate blood donation with involuntary loss. Volumes donated are usually - hopefully - too small to trigger collapse. I'd imagine the kids love it, if only for the free biscuits 'cookies' (what do they call these in Australia?).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually they give you more than biscuits

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They provide pies, milkshakes, caps, orange juice on tap

Unfortunatly i pass out whenever i try to give blood

8. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I donate my blood frequently. Arrgg! They always after me blood! There always seems to be an emergency in which they need my blood urgently. It's usually quick and painless (though there have been a few times when I am given a new nurse and they use me to train her on--always fun getting giant bruises on your arm that last weeks).

I don't feel anything. I'm big enough and I have enough blood to handle the loss of a pint without feeling any ill effects. There was, however, one time when I gave blood and then went to visit my friend at his college. We were sitting in one of his friend's dorm rooms drinking screw drivers. This is when I was small (about 165 lbs at 6'). I had like three screwdrivers and I was legitimately toasted. As they'll tell you when giving blood, you're not supposed to drink for a while after. I figured it was because the alcohol would have a greater effect because of the loss of blood and so I wanted to test that theory. I was pretty messed up after those drinks, granted, I didn't have much of a tolerance at that time.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Franciois ANY loss of blood causes certain chemical changes in the body. For instance heart rate rises, breathing quickens, periferal ateries close up (making your skin lose colour out of interest), your kidneys retain more water, platlet cascade ect. These are automatic and to some extent occure as soon as you cut your finger (especially the platlet cascade) but more of them occure as the volume increases. The difference between compensated shock (which is what happenes when you lose 700mls of blood) and decompensated shock is simply a matter of volume. This is the main reason you shouldnt drink after giving blood or after any loss of blood. Also the liver (which proccess achole) loses its massive blood reserves (its other funtion is to store blood) and this could well have an effect on how well its able to detoxify the achole (though i dont know this as fact).

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I've never weighted more than 48kg, and the limit for donating is 50kg

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

The average donation is about 500ml I heard. That doesn't really mean anything to me, but when I was in school the seniors and juniors that had donated would always be all giggly and could space out for long periods of time. I always wondered what it was like, but never got a chance to in high school because I didn't meet the weight requirement and I had low iron. I finally did it recently and I actually passed out I couldn't remember where I was or what day it was or even my friend's name it was terrible. Maybe I'm still to small to lose that much blood.

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why do people 'need' your blood?? O_O I mean why, in an emergency, do you get called on to donate it?

What if you were just really short, and 48kg was your healthy weight?

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You just don't have enough volume of blood to give a full pint at that weight, no matter how short you are...I imagine.

I've given blood a few times...I wonder if whoever recieved it got a little high, or failed a drug test because of it.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What if you gave blood after, say, downhill, while it was loaded with adrenalin? Would the recipient get high off it?

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I thought you had to be 18 to donate?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not in australia, i think its 16 but it could be younger. I do know that my sister had to get mums signiture so that she could donate blood

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've been giving blood for thirty years. I never have any unusual effects. I always sit for a while and have the drinks and cookies.

The very first time I gave blood I watched the process. When it was over I fainted. I didn't try again for about five years. The secret is not to look. I don't even look when they draw my blood for a lab test.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I tend to pass out from getting a shot, so I don't give blood, but I heard it's good for you.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have only donated blood once in my life. I cut my hand open on a glass I was washing when I was 17. I got a pretty good gash from it. I lived on my own then and didn't have a car. It was bleeding a lot so I tied it up in a bandanna.
    I called a taxi and went to the hospital. They stitched my up and I went back home. I can't really remember what it felt like. All I can remember is feeling really panicked by what happened.

I used to have a major fear of getting blood tests. I had one when I was about 6 and was squirming so much the needle broke. They had to dig around to get it out. After that I was terrified to ever get a blood test again. The next time I had one done was when I was pregnant the first time, because I had no choice. I was stressed out for like 2 weeks before my appt. The day I went I felt sick to my stomache nervous. She did the test and I thought ......OMG I can't believe I was so scared for like 20 yrs about getting blood work done. After that it has never bothered me again.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

fear of needles or an incredibly low pain tolerance?

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

That reminds me of the first time I gave blood...Going in...I imagined a thumb-tack looking thing with a tube attached to it. Instead, the nurse pulled out a freaking 10-penny nail, that made that "Shing!" sound a sword makes when it's un-sheathed when she pulled it out of the wrapper....I damn near fainted. I just closed my eyes and thought about boobies.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orleander, when i have blood tests the doc doesnt use that neat little thing, because of my low blood pressure i cant actually fill the vials so they have to use a normal syringe and physically PULL the blood out

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

tell them to quit aiming for a vein and aim for an artery.