Copenhagen interpretation applied to original particle

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by EmmZ, May 12, 2008.

1. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I'd like to talk about a theory I've just read about collapsing wavefunctions, Copenhagen Interpretaion, the Big Bang theory and how God could have collapsed the original particle.

Now I've lost the Physicist and Atheists by mentioning God, and the religious people by mentioning Quantum Physics, and the Intelligentsia by my merely writing this, and the illiterati because this may take some time, we can get on with it.

Until observed, subatomic particles exist in a smeared-out state of all possible positions in the atom: the superposition, or the wavefunctions. imagine you're out jogging and the observer doesn't know where you are. You could be running along the canal, over the dunes, down by the coastal trail, at a Scientology conference meeting Hubbard, wherever. These are all possibilities, some more likely than others.

Conventional logic tells us you are definitely somewhere, we just don't know where. quantum physics says your situation is unknown - so you could be anywhere - you actually exist in all those places until someone finds out for sure by observing you. So instead of one clear reality, there's a smear. You're down the canal, you're in a meeting, you're up a tree, it's only by my going to find you that all the other possibilities are denied and the reality is set. This is the idea that all probabilities exist as wavefunctions until an external observer looks at - and therefore collapses - the wavefunction.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-copenhagen/

Now We're all familiar with The Big Bang theory. If you imagine the original particle that went "bang" fourteen billion years ago, it should behave like any other particle. It would have it's own wavefunction - a series of probabilities about where it is and what it's up to. And what we know of quantum physics says until an external observer turns up that wavefunction wont collapse. It will exist in all its probabilities at once. An observer to the external universe must be God. So perhaps God collapsed the wavefunction that became the universe. In other words, out of all probabilities God collapsed the original particle into one universe, the universe we live in.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

This is possible (likely if you're a Christian scientist) but it is not science.

Sorry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Red X Registered Member

True, an observer, whom is measuring the particle, would be a requirement for the Copenhagen or Othordox position to be correct, and if indeed the original rapid inflation worked that way. But why do you say "God"? Quite an odd assertion, since you would just require an outside "observer" of any kind. Why not more than one God? Maybe there were many "Gods." There doesn't necessarily have to be only one, nor does it necessarily have to be a "God" by whatever definition of God you're using. What about outside robots that are capable of measurement, like the Matrix, for example? Or any other possible "outside" thing that is capable of "observation?" Saying God, implies the ole' cliche omnimax being, which is an unevident inference you're making, and you imply only one, which is yet another unevident inference. That wreaks of pseudoscience in just the assertions alone.
    Other than that, many physicists find the Copenhagen/Orthodox interpretation of Quantum Mechanics to be an absurdiam. As given in the example of Schrodinger's Cat, which at the end of Schrodinger's experiment, the cat in schrodinger's box would contain equal amounts of live cat and dead cat, according to the copenhagen interpretation of the wave function. This is why I would be hesitant to start making inferences about the meaning of certain physics problems, using the Copenhagen/Orthodox interpretation. I would feel much more comfortable with a "realist interpretation", and even more so by ducking the meaning all-together, on the grounds that it is metaphysical, which would be the "Agnostic position."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.