Is this world real?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gonj, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonj Registered Member

Is this world real? How do we all know this world we see isn't just a dream? And why are we here?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FoxMulder Registered Senior Member

WE KNOW IT IS REAL BECAUSE OF JESUS!! ACCEPT JESUS AND YOU WILL SEE!!!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Will you ever loook outside christianity?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

gonj:

We know that the world is real through science. Every time we create and test a hypothesis, we find out a little more whether the world is real or not. If there's no way to ever distinguish between what would be real and what may be a dream world then there is no difference, and what may be a dream world is in fact real.

Agent@5:

We have as many people glued harder to existentialism than we have people who profess Christianity. If we don't expect them to "look past" existentialism (whatever that means), why should we expect other people to look past their philosophies. Granted, typing a message in big blue flashing letters may be a bit over the top, but let people have their say, especially if you're not going to add anything to the thread but a 6-word complaint of another person's post.

8. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

THE WORLD HAS TO BE REAL OR ELSE WE'D BE DEAD. PERIOD. END OF QUESTION. REALITY IS NOT A FREAKING ILLUSION. IF IT IS ITS A DAMN SELF CONSISTANT ONE AND ONE THAT CAN MAINTAIN LIFE. AND WHAT DIFFERECE DOES IT MAKE ANYWAY?

Sorry I just get sick of this arguement sometimes don't mind me

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

How do you know your not dreaming?

10. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Asguard ...

Simple!

Everytime my bladder clatters, I wake up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Take care

Well ... almost every time.

11. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

Why ask Why?

12. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

For an interesting point of view: check the "test" thread. It is about a movie I saw. And about buddhism

For views on the connection between science, reality and religion, check the "down with religion" thread.

13. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Please read the beliefs thread, my points on reality can be found there.

14. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I usually know whem im dreaming.

Besides im not twisted enough to dream up this world

15. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

I would and HAVE said the same thing to people who are not prepared to accept another perspectove. I am not saying they should not have an opinion, all I am saying is that being a little more liberal with your thoughts will encourgae a more open and stimulating flow of thoughts, instead of just preaching the same ideas over an over. I ask him a question, if he is preapared to do that. Thats valid enough. Sometimes I feel a short msg, gettig straight to the point, is more effecient than a long drawn out essay, thus you have my six letter post. Ok

16. BobG Registered Senior Member

I don't know that but I don't care either.

17. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

"I don't know and I don't care"

That's a good attitude on a philosophy board!

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Agent

actully surprisingly enough thats a problem i have with athiasts to (not all of corse, don't get your nickers in a knot xev)

except they don't try to convert you

they just look down on you

19. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Originally posted by gonj
    Is this world real? How do we all know this world we see isn't just a dream? And why are we here?

It doesn't matter whether this world is "real" or illusory. What other choice do we have but to accept our experience as real? If you determined that your life was a dream from which you couldn't wake, what difference would it make?

~Raithere

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

gonj,

Depends on your awareness...
    Most people do not control their lifes but let their lifes control them. If they let their lifes control them, they are dreaming. Their web of beliefs creates their actions and reactions. They are controled by their beliefs, the beliefs that they, themselves, created...

Awareness... when you dream, do you know that you are dreaming? Usually not... so how can you know that this is not a dream...? Perhaps it's all on the mind... and the only Truth is beyond the mind... it can be explained rationally...

Why are you here? Don't worry about it... just have fun...
    If you keep thinking about this your life will pass through you and you won't even notice... Just live it. Plain and simple.

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Awareness... when you dream, do you know that you are dreaming? Usually not... so how can you know that this is not a dream...? Perhaps it's all on the mind... and the only Truth is beyond the mind... it can be explained rationally..."

I am always, always aware it is a dream. Don't remember the last time I wasn't.

22. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

The real question is why do people even consider crap like the world is an illusion. The only arguement they ever use is that i can never know that im not dreaming. The fact is i do know im not dreaming. So do the people posing the stupid question. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES SOMEONE SAYS THAT THE WORLD IS NOT REAL NOBODY BELIEVES IT. IT IS A STUPID POINT. NOBODY ACTS AS IF THE WORLD IS AN ILLUSION.

Truthseeker,

How many dreams have you had that are self consistant enough to be like this world? How many of your dreams are a continuation of your last one? How well does your memory function when your dreaming? Do your dreams take an extremely irrational and more or less random path? Can you read in a dream? (proabally not a good test but i know that i can't)

It is easy to tell this isn't a fucking dream.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Neutrino_Albatros,

What do you mean...?

That's a little hard to happen... but they all have me...

Well enough to remember it...

Sometimes yes... sometimes no...

I believe so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.