Shark Attacks Caused by Global Warming!

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by BenTheMan, May 4, 2008.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I have a twitch in my right eye and my toaster has stopped working. Could I be suffering from global warming too?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

There are jelly fish attacking fish farms in areas they normally aren't in. Wouldn't more shark attacks be because there are more sharks in areas they aren't normally in?

8. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Well the headline for the article is somewhat sensational - the actual content of the article is somewhat more sensible - and all of it draws upon what we know.

Certainly the climate change explanation is a valid one - in terms of the way that it is changing the ranges and distributions of many marine species including sharks, and therefore bringing more sharks into areas where they are more likely to come into contact with humans.

Of course as the article is quick to point out, its not the only explanation - and indeed the simple fact that with a larger population, and a larger proportion of that population engaging in leisure pursuits in the water is just as good if not better an explanation for the increase in attacks in my opinion.

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

The short answer is probably yes - although recent changes in ranges and distributions of sharks correspond to changes in sea temperatures and ocean currents - in turn a result of climate changes. It doesn't quite answer why there is an increase in shark attacks when shark populations have crashed to (in many places) as little as 1% of what they were 30 years ago.

The common cause of jellyfish population explosions is overfishing - human activity brings local fish populations close to extinction, leaving jellyfish - which have few natural predators - with no competition for their main food source (copepods), and BOOM! jellyfish soup!

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Almost everything changes when the climate does. (As opposed to the weather, say.)

Shark populations are down, in general. The bigger sharks, the ones most likely to kill humans, have been cut by about 90% world wide according to fisheries researchers.

According to the article, most of the bites from the worst beach have come from small sharks - a couple of feet long.

Generally more people in the water would not explain dramatic year to year variations.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

um global warming could have been a factor. coral is very sensitive to changes in temperture. coral goes away so do the fish. sharks need to find new source of food. some like this happened in racife brazil although it wasn't global warming

12. Ecosutra Registered Member

Climate Change and Delpetion

Depleting resources are to blame for the rise in attacks. Whales are showing up malnourished. But Climate change is an element that is related but the over consumption of man is also. Climate Changes worst act of cruelty is on species that need to hibernate. Bats died in the millions this year. Grizzly Bears are having trouble with food supply because of the Bark Beetle and the fact that the winters are not strong enough to kill them. So the hibernation cycle of Bears and Bats and what else is all in peril. For those in denial I hope you get informed.

13. Emil Valued Senior Member

I'm amazed how some people are knowledgeable.
    I do not even understand why my wife was upset(and I have serious doubts she know why she is upset),but then about the sharks ...?
    Or all have an answer? An answer for everything?

Global Warming!?!?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  14. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

This is unscientific crap. The biggest factor determining the number of shark attcks and fatalities year by year is sheer chance. We had 1 fatal last year and 4 this year. The variation is well within normal statistical error.

Let's not try creating something that does not exist, guys.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The title of the article seems to be misleading, given its content. Global warming is only one possible factor mentioned. Somebody is doing sloppy journalism here.

16. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Did anyone even bother to read the article??

And THEN the article states.
    I hope we all know the meaning of the word "Another" and the concept of "contributory". If not look it up.

It's all very reasonable.

Maybe you should all read something before you criticize it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  17. Emil Valued Senior Member

You have convinced me.
    Now I am sure if nobody would enjoy in the water,would greatly reduce the sharks attacks.

18. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

It would also reduce the jellyfish attacks.

19. Emil Valued Senior Member

I have said, all have one answer, Global Warming :itold:
    Do you really think that overpopulation is to blame that more people are in the water for recreation?
    Wrong, Global Warming is to blame!! :shh:
    More people feel the need to cool in the water.

20. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

The article clearly suggests that global warming might just be a contributing factor.

Because the distribution of fish and shark species changes with seawater temperature chances.

Only 1 degree difference can already make it possible for a species to move in.

In front of the dutch coast they have seen a trend in the last 20 years of more southern species moving in. Which correlated also to an increase in seawater temperature.

You can ridicule global warming in the unscientific manner that has been done in this thread, but clearly this is unwarranted considering the scientific evidence regarding this topic.

The change in distribution of fish species is a recorded one. Not a made up one.

Strange that science is being ridiculed on a science forum.

21. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

its not that far off.. global warming is warming the oceans therefor expanding the area species of shark can live in of theos areas contain more people and if thoes people get attacked in the new range due to global warming one could say global warming created the correct conditions to allow the shark to be in the area where the person was attacked

22. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

There is no science in the global warming hypothesis of shark attack. It is simply a wild idea unsupported by data. The number of fatal shark attacks in one year go from 1 to 4. That is not statistically significant. it is a mere blip. Blind chance at work. To try to turn such small numbers into something significant is the act of a scientific idiot with no conception of proper statistical analysis.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sadly, in the Internet Age, that phrase has become almost redundant.