Review: Iron Man

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by lucifers angel, May 2, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Turning Marvel Comics’ Iron Man into a $200m movie never seemed like a good idea. The mechanical man has always been the poor cousin of Spidey and Supes, while eyebrows were raised halfway up foreheads when it was announced Robert Downey Jr was the actor to jump into that hulking great suit.

Which all goes to prove how wrong we sometimes get it, because Iron Man isn’t just the first blockbuster of 2008, but looks likely to be the one they’ll all have to beat. Great special effects, a brilliantly droll sense of humour and a terrific turn from Downey Jr make this a movie to savour.

The actor best known for spending the late 90s in a drug-induced haze plays unscrupulous playboy arms dealer Tony Stark who, while demonstrating his latest missile system, is captured by bandits in deepest Afghanistan after a roadside bombing.

Imprisoned in a cave, he’s ordered by his captives to make a replica of his latest hi-tech weapon, assisted by a fellow prisoner. At the same time, his new pal implants a device in his chest to prevent the shrapnel he received in the bomb blast from reaching his heart.

But Stark isn’t interested in making a missile and instead builds a super-powered metal outfit that allows him not only to fly but to dispatch his former kidnappers with missiles and powerful flamethrowers.

After escaping from the Afghan desert, he heads back to the US to fine-tune his creation and make up for all the lives he’s destroyed through his business.

After that Middle East action, the pace doesn’t slacken when we’re back in the States with some of the best scenes showing Stark experimenting with his incredible suit – a process that sees him flung unceremoniously around the basement of his Malibu mansion and soaring into the night sky as he learns the fine art of superhero flight.

Downey Jr turns out to be the perfect choice for the part, bringing with him a raddled cynicism that makes him the polar opposite of the superheroes we’ve recently become used to. Forget pretty boys in spandex suits full

of self-doubt, this guy’s an impulsive headcase a world away from the Tobey

Maguires and Brandon

Rouths of this world.

There’s also a talented supporting cast, with Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow) as Stark’s military buddy and Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski) as his arch nemesis. Heck, even Gywneth Paltrow is respectable as his PA.

If there are faults, they’re the same ones that can be levelled at most movies that have been

designed to kick-start a franchise, namely a touch too much talking, especially in the second half. They may be setting up the story for

parts two and three, but you

will find yourself wishing Stark would quit his jawing and get

down to business.

None of this, mind you, is enough to dent Iron Man’s armour. Rumoured to be the first part of a trilogy, already I can’t wait for the arrival of part two.

The reel lowdown: Another week, another lousy horror, this one a micro-budget calamity about a woman terrorised by a psychotic parking attendant.

And, once again, it’s time to trot out the same criticisms that can be levelled at 90 per cent of fright films these days – namely it’s boring, not scary and relies on cheap jolts instead of bothering with atmosphere or tension. Set over the course of one night – and looking like it was made in about the same time – Rachel Nichols plays workaholic Angela who’s leaving the office for the Christmas break when she discovers her car won’t start.

Finding everyone’s left for the holidays, the poor girl is stuck

in the firm’s underground garage with only the creepy Thomas (Wes Bentley) and his Rottweiler for company. And it turns out her companion has some serious anger management issues.

Plotwise, that’s your lot with the movie consisting of Angela running around, screaming, hiding from Thomas, being found by Thomas and then screaming some more.

Your yawns are likely to be just as loud.

THE REEL LOWDOWN

BEST QUOTE: “Peace means having a bigger stick than the other guy.”

BEST BIT: Great special effects.

WORST BIT:

Gets a bit too talky in the middle.

IF YOU LIKED... The Rocketeer, Superman: The Movie... YOU’LL

LIKE THIS.

------------------------

personally i can't wait to see this movie, i have always been a Marvel fan and i loved spiderman, so naturally i ca't wait to go and see this!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tvandfilm/atthemovies/2008/05/02/review-iron-man-89520-20401754/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j3PKV426diY&feature=related

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Just watched it online. Watchable... (for free)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What about if you have to pay for it? Worth it ?
    Is it suitable for a 7 and 11 yr old?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah? How'd you manage that then? :bugeye:

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There are websites that put up brand new movies for free, mostly Chinese. At least this one had Chinese subtitles.

Generally I am not a fan of the silly American superhero genre, but I like Robert Downey. Plus just for killing time almost anything will do... I wouldn't pay for it though.

For young kids it is OK, no sex in it and only shoting violence...

P.S.: Now here is where I would include the website's address, but some moderators bitchin' about that, so you have to PM me...

9. superstring01 Moderator

Horrific. Fucking Idiotic. Beyond terrible. It hit rock bottom, pulled out a pick-axe and started digging.

***SPOILER***

Fine. I can accept the "arch generator". Great. But, how does the thing penetrate so far in to his chest while not displacing his heart? And don't tell me, "How do you know it doesn't?" It doesn't. He had surgery in a cave and lived. No infection. He was there for three months with a foreign object made of metal & plastic, covered in grime and sticking out of his sternum into the air. Fucking ridiculous.

Why didn't the Afghanis bother walking IN TO THE SHOP in the three month period to see the big, hulking metal suit that he was building. Sure, he "pieced it together" in the last 24 hours. Right. Sure. I know that we're all supposed to think that "those people" are a bunch of uneducated idiots, but let's get real: didn't it dawn on them to pay his little lab a visit within the 90 day period?

When the bald boss guy "stole" his little glowing generator out of his chest, how is it that it connected PERFECTLY to the new suit which was built totally independently, in a separate lab and based totally on some rough sketches found in a cave and some metal fragments found lying about in the sand? I mean, even the little connectors fit perfectly. Stupid. Talk about standardization!!!

And a S.L. Jackson cameo after the credits as Nick Fury. Wow. I'm impressed.

~String

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So your main complaint is that the bad guys are poor managers. I'm sure it'll come up in their quarter reports.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

How does Superman fly? It is a superhero genre for fuck's sake, you are American, you grew up with this shit, get finally used to it.

And you actually paid money for it???

(shaking head)

12. superstring01 Moderator

That's your answer?

When a movie is made it establishes rules. In Superman, Clark Kent is able to fly because of his inherent biological abilities that are the gift of Krypton. It isn't majestic, but the rule fits and it DOESN'T blatantly contradict a lot of premises we have on Earth. The rule is: "This is Earth, everything is pretty much the same as you see it, except that there is this human alien guy who is nearly perfect, is a genius, is as strong as a million men, he can fly, can travel thrugh time, has laser vision and can do a bunch of other stuff." If they made it that Lois Lane had a greasy, metal rod through her chest for 90 days that didn't stop her heart while not causing an infection, I'd be annoyed. What they did do, is equally insulting: Superman was able to "lift" a Mt. Everest sized rock out of the Earth with his bare hands while NOT penetrating into the rock with the pressure he was placing on the rock. The rock under his hands would liquify from the enormous pressure pressing down where he was touching. That was ridiculous and insulting. He may have been strong enough, but the rock wouldn't be and it would liquify and fall apart.

In Iron man, A HUMAN BEING had a greasy plastic and metal object sticking four inches into his chest while somehow not getting infected and while not preventing his heart from existing. There is a "rule" that was established in the movie: "This is Earth, it's as you see it, people are people, and this guy isn't a 'biological' superhero, he's a 'genious' superhero (like Batman). Gravity exists, germs exist, corruption exists... it's all the same except this geniusgenius can build REALLY futuristic machines." I accept that rule. I can shunt away my doubts that a metal suit can fly, have little "rockets", has a computer that can chit-chat with him, has a super startrekian generator and can somehow repel pretty much any explosion.

What I CAN NOT accept is the blatant idiotic things we're supposed to accept: no germs, his heart really isn't needed, that he can fall a thousand feet (probably more) to the desert sand and survive the crash [full force, mind you], and that human curiosity didn't get the best of the Afghanis and they did NOT wander into his lab to take a peak at the shit he was building.

That was nonsense.

In XMen I can accept that Rogue can "suck" the energy out of people and that Storm can control chaotic weather (truly, the MOST awesome power, if you think about it since it requires subtle manipulation of gravity and electro magnetism)--- it's a rule that was established. What I can't accept is that magnetism can somehow "force" people to mutate-- that was stupid.

If it establishes a rule: I expect it to be followed. In Iron Man the rule is: "This is earth, it's all pretty much the same, just accept that this guy can build pretty much anything." Which I accepted.

I didn't pay. The boyfriend did. I took us out to Thai for dinner.

~String

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I had no exceptations, specially not about the law of physics or biology, so I wasn't dissapointed.

You are right, there are 2 kind of superheros, one in a fantasy world, like batman and one in the real world. But to expect that they don't cross over the border of belivability is just naive.

I actually like the fantasy world better, because then we don't have to worry about realism.. Now when you know the premise of Iron Man, you should know it is going to be far fetched....

You must have seen the trailer when he is flying with fighter speed then goes to zero and reverse in 1 second. If that didn't bother you, why a little thing as no heart did???

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well the boys headed off to see it a few minutes ago. I would have gone but I feel sick.

Anyway I will tell you what they think when they get back later. I will give you the review from the eyes of a 7 and 11 yr old boy.

BTW: I watched the trailer it's not really my cup of tea, but the soundtrack seems really good.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

16. superstring01 Moderator

I agree. With stuff like Xmen or Harry Potter, it's all etherial stuff that goes over our heads, so I can dismiss it and enjoy the movie. But when it's "the real world" and non-real-world things happen, I get pissy.

Damn. I missed that point... and now that little scene bothers me too. Thanks.

~String

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It started out with AC/DC and I just rewatched a figthscene and I was airdrumming.

Here is an idea for String: Watch the first 10-15 mins online (any new movies) THEN decide if it is worthy to see it on the big screen...

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, X-Men would go into the "real" group, since it is on Earth, in America. Actually, Harry Potter too. At least most magic happens in the school...

Batman is on the other hand in an imaginary city. My problem is with the Hulk and Supermen type of "real world" movies is that the humans act in it like it is completely OK for someone flying through air or grow 10 times bigger...

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I am looking forward to seeing the New Batman movie. The joker character looks great!
    Too bad the poor guy died.

I haven't checked anyone know when it's coming out?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well are your boys back from the show yet? What's their opinions?:shrug:

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yes.... They thought it was great. They really liked the soundtrack too.
    They said the music was really cool. They want to get it when it comes out on DVD so that is a good sign.

The older kid (Nietzche lol ) Said he thought it was good too. Lucky they left a bit early because he said it was packed.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I always wait a few days before I go to any movie and I go only during the week to avoid such packed theaters. Good to hear they liked it.

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah well I had free movie passes for them anyway. Nietzchefan had to use his today because it was get in free on your Birthday!!