What are the side effects of Aspirin a day?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by plakhapate, Apr 27, 2008.

1. plakhapate Banned Banned

I have undergone Bypass Surgery in Dec 2007.

Now doctor has recommended Aspirin-150 mg a day for thinning of blood in addition to B.P.lowering tablets.

I like to know what are the side effects of the Aspirin

P.J.LAKHAPATE
    M-91-9867069587
    R-91-22-27702655

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

My husband knows a little about drug action (he studied biochem but works with computers now). He said he doesn't know very much but what he does is it can increase bleeding (hence used in blood thinning). His dad takes it for same reason in combo with warfarin.

If it's been administered by doctor then it should be fine. The side effects you might notice are indigestion but other than that you probably wont have trouble. It can cause headache and tiredness and other things but not so common. He said best advice is speak to your doc and pharmacist about it. They can explain all symptoms and interaction to other meds or conditions you have that might affect it. It's hard to say generally without professional consultation and you have a medical history to take into account. For instance you might not be able to take antacids for indigestion depending on your other meds as they can alter their action or stop them altogether.

Sometimes it's best speaking to doc and pharmacist as they both know different things about your meds, docs are not so good with the actual pharmacology and interaction as that's a pharmacists job. Warfarin for instance stops the enzyme vitamin K epoxide reductase from working so that means if you eat too much vit k containing food then you can make the warfarin less effective.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many people have an intolerance of all NSAIDs--non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. The intolerance may be moderate so they don't notice it if they don't take it often. But if they take it every day the reaction may become noticeable. The most common problems are gastrointestinal and the most serious of these is internal bleeding.

I took aspirin frequently for 25 years for pain from an old injury. Then one day my stool turned black. I went to my doctor and he confirmed the presence of blood. He would not allow me to drive home for fear I might lose consciousness from blood loss. My wife drove me to the hospital where I underwent an upper and lower endoscopy. My stomach lining was covered with scars from healed ulcers.

Acetominiophen doesn't do anything for me so now I have a lifelong prescription for propoxyphene (Darvon).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My father used aspirin or analgin daily for many years too, ended up in hospital.
    Everyone warned him that it was bad, but he didn't listen.

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Aspirin comes from the bark of the willow tree, and is one of the oldest known medications. Regular salic acid can cause stomach problems, so normal pills actually contain a buffered form of the compound.

The side effects are usually minor, unless too much is taken - an overdose can lead to severe medical problems. When taking a low-dose daily aspirin, be sure to stick exactly to the doctor's dosage.

http://www.drugs.com/aspirin.html