Menstrual Blood: A Valuable Source Of Multipotential Stem Cells?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by cosmictraveler, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Stromal stem cells - cells that are present in connective tissues - have recently been identified in endometrial tissues of the uterus. When the fresh growth of tissue and blood vessels is shed during each menstrual cycle, some cells with regenerative capabilities are present and collectable. While collecting menstrual blood stromal cells (MenSCs) directly from tissue would be invasive, retrieving them during the menstrual cycle would not be.

"Stromal stem cells derived from menstrual blood exhibit stem cell properties, such as the capacity for self-renewal and multipotency," said Amit N. Patel, MD, MS, Director of Cardiac Cell Therapy at the University of Pittsburgh's McGowan Institute of Regenerative Medicine. "Uterine stromal cells have similar multipotent markers found in bone marrow stem cells and originate in part from bone marrow."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080423075810.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can't imagine a worse job than being a period blood collector. Can you imagine wringing out tampons day after day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

nice...the "golden mine" really fits

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Only 5% of menstrual fluid is blood, th rest is liquidized dead cells and connective tissue.

It always been my curse at evolution for not giving humans the ability to internally absorb and recycling the tissue like most estrus mammals do.