Why do some people resort to Insults/Violence....?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Pinocchio's Hoof, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Although I am Noobish to sci-forums I have noticed some discussions/threads tend to disintegrate into childish rants and insults, just as some arguments in life also resort to insults and in cases violence.

I was wondering "WHY" people who are more than capable of decent conversation/debate regress to

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oke:ing fun and being rude.

there seems to be a few stages before the insults/rantings take over.
    1) the insulter may twist words written (by the insulted) to give his notions/thought more ground.
    2) the insulter may ignore mid-debate a point of discrepancy in his logic/notions/thought.
    3)they also may resort to pertinance to avoid having, to question their own integrity.
    4) or the classic anwsering a question, with another question

So how do we regress from interesting discussion-random points-denial-insults-(and sometimes) violence..?
    Why do we regress from conversation to insults to violence
    Is it the persons refusal to accept their viewpoint may not as viable through other peoples perception.
    Or is it simply people do not like to be wrong...?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

In my case, it's your constant refering to the members throughout. Instead, taking the discussion in different or, your own, direction. This said, I feel that people would result to insult/violence upon whatever grounds they feel necessary: for example, if someone is having such an attitude portrayed upon him (me) / her, he she will resort to violence/insults.

This forum is not one where people percieve things the same, and I feel this is a good place for this topic.

That's just me though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because they can.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Don't understand....
    Sometimes threads have direction of their own and the discussion of the original subject can give rise to other interesting points.

I feel that insults and violence are a regression of common sense when it comes to intelligent questions and anwser's...

Yet I also feel that 'sarcastic wit' is an intelligent way to mock without resorting to insults...

It is in all of us, I sometimes find it hard not to resort to this when involved in a disscusion which goes round and round the same points with no progression
    when I feel the urge to insult its generaly due to frustration...

It should never be necessary to resort to violence

8. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Just as an after thought is it a way of protecting oneself...
    or are insults a way of giving warning that you are prepared to protect ones rhetorical perspective*( if* thats the right descriptive)..
    With violence being the last form of defence.....

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You mean like offense is the best defense ?

Insults and violence are often a sign of powerlessness and/or social weakness.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

because when all other form of communication has broken down insults and violence are all you've got left

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are many reasons this happens. One reason is that one person is "losing" the conversation because they lack the information to keep up with what is being discussed so they become annoyed and start to try and throw the conversation off course by throwing insults at those who are more knowledgeable than they are. It is a "defense" mechanism that some people use to not show others how either uneducated or uninformed they are about stuff. Another reason is to show that they are in "control" of the conversation by provoking others instead of listening and learning. They do this only because they lack the common sense in trying to let others have the opportunity to express whatever they want about something but instead belittle them to try and make themselves look like they can handle the person making the statements. This is what as known as a superiority complex sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I think the main elements in this are:

1. people are competitive, they want to win, they want to prevail;
    2. communication is a competition;
    3. some people don't pick their battles or their opponents wisely.

13. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

This should be the point where the person who is unable to keep up should in fact ask about information on the subject discussed,to increase their knowledge on the topic.
    Yet the reluctance to do this as they might be demed 'less able' or 'inferior'
    is quite common, even though in all subjects there is generally somebody who will know more than somebody else.
    There is a saying in catering (which I was taught from day 1)...
    "The day you stop learning, is the day your career ends"
    There is no embarassment in not knowing, but I think there is a loss of face in failure to turn an 'unknown' element of topic into something you could know about, with just the acceptence 'I could learn from this.

14. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I think offense is the best form of defense, only if you are scared or feel threatened.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The most difficult words that a man can say are " I don't know".

16. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Why do you think this is so?

17. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Oscar Wilde once said, "Give a man a mask and he'll show you his true self".

That there monitor is our mask.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  18. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I think admitance to mistakes is harder..." sorry I'm wrong"

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea, what's up with that ?

I agree with Greenberg. It's depends on character rather than sex.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because I don't hear it very much in my daily life as well as on thios site. Look at the posts and find how many times you find someone saying I don't know or I don't understand during a conversation. You won't find it very much if at all. Instead most times you'll see the conversation take a turn for the worse and degenerate into a cussing match, or threats or other such nonsense.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Those words come in a very close second to what I said. They are almost the same thing in essence from , "I don't know".

22. Reiku Banned Banned

Violence comes from three types of individuals. The first are those who have an overload of pride. The second are those who have no pride at all, and the third are those who are mentally unstable. The third however, can readily answer to the first two.

23. draqon Banned Banned

there is thing called boredom...it is the root of this evil