what happens when you get banned?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by skaught, Apr 22, 2008.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What wasn't mentioned to VitalOne but has been stated many times previously is that thread complaining about people being Temporary Banned are automatic locking's and potentially grounds for further bans.

It was decided this some time back because no good comes from the threads, usually they are just used to try and cause people on the forum to riot. Although Rioting on occasion can be fun, it can not be stressed enough to pick the right reason to riot. Obviously someone complaining because they got temp banned for acting up is not the right reason to riot.

When someone who is banned tries to log in, they get greeted by a message explaining they can't log in and why. We can't physically stop people from re-signing up, however we take many measures to make it difficult for peoples "sock puppets" to remain undetected for too long (unless they don't troll much)

For the most part, if we don't detect them and they aren't acting up with their new account, we won't act on their new account and treat them like a new user. It's really up to them to maintain this "fresh outlook" or get banned again.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Surely you can if you ban the IP?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Many people use large ISPs, shared by many other people, to access sciforums. We try to avoid IP bans as much as possible, since it risks locking out other users.

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I see. Then again, why bother re signing up after going through something like that. I imagine most people would be too embarrassed or pissed off to come back. I imagine it would be frustrating to try to build up a whole new persona to once you get banned.
    Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm new to sciforums, and new to this whole foruming thing too.
    For the record, I thought you were every fair. You gave him numerous opportunities. He just wouldn't take them. His loss, not ours

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. itsnobody Banned Banned

nah it wouldn't stop them

see I just did it

Stryder permanently banned me (VitalOne) for asking why atheists are allowed to repeatedly insult me over and over again, and for saying that "Its nothing more than repeated insults by atheists, these guys just won't stop insulting someone over and over again" isn't trolling

hahaha, Stryder proved my point perfectly

Thanks for proving my point Stryder

10. itsnobody Banned Banned

I can re register as much as I want

Stryder was so unfair and biased banned for what again?

11. itsnobody Banned Banned

no one can stop me from re-registering I can just use a proxy site

12. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

Right now you just sound like some punk kid. Get lost

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Stryder banned you for exactly what you're doing here.

You won't be the first to try that, if you do. Do you imagine that you are the first banned user ever to get all flustered, angry and resentful?

You would really be better off taking some time off and thinking about your behaviour. It's only the internet, after all. And consider what has happened to other people who have been banned in the past.

Who knows? Maybe you'll be the one who beats the system. But I doubt it.

14. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a thread that would invite him in. Lock it down???

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

We lock on occasions when the threads no longer server a purpose, for the most part we try to keep threads open. In this particular example, you've added new questions in regards to what's going on and from my perspective I can't see anything wrong with that.

In fact it's quite handy since it allows those questions to be answered in case other posters have often wondered.

Obviously Vital's sign up was met with a pretty swift ban for being a sock puppet.