Child Beauty Pageants

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by shorty_37, Apr 17, 2008.

?

Do you think child pageants like these sexualize children?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2008.
  1. Yes I do

88.0%
  2. No I don't

12.0%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

The padded bra for 7 yr old girls, has made me think of the child beauty pageants. I am sure you have all heard of JonBenet Ramsey.

JonBenet Ramsey, a girl who never reached her seventh birthday, is fast becoming the most famous beauty queen in American history. Sadly, the reason for this renown is the way she died --- brutally slain in her Colorado home after being bound and sexually assaulted.

Full article:
    http://www.pageant.com/commentary/ramsey_case.html

5 yrs old

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What are your thoughts of parents who dress up their young daughters and prance them around looking like they are teenagers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

She looks like a teenager to you?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Have you ever watched the Documentaries about Child Beauty pageants?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, but I took part in lots of stuff when I was a kid and wore everything from a a native American outfit (tied like a sarong for some reason) a nav vari sari that tucked into my butt to a backless choli which is like a short crop top. Lots of makeup, lots of prancing around on stage. Its fun.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Beautification or Exploitation?

Kari and Bonnie are sisters at war over Bonnie's 8-year-old daughter, Madison, competing in high-glitz beauty pageants. Bonnie encourages Madison to wear makeup, fake teeth and spray-on tans. Kari says she looks like a "20-year-old call girl."

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/680/

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well the shows i have watched about it, alot of these poor kids are almost in tears, sometimes they are. They have to sit for hours to get their makeup, hair, clothes on. Then when they try to run around the moms are yelling they are going to mess themselves up. Most of the cases I have seen are moms almost forcing these 4,5,6 yr old little girls to sit still and do what they are told. This isn't an occassional get dressed up. We all did that as little girls. This is a competition that pretty much takes away their childhood of being a kid playing and getting dirty. These parents are stressing themselves and their kids out!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If the mother was spending the same money on expensive clothes and shoes and makeup for ballet and the daughter was performing on stage, would you have the same objections?

Yup pretty much what happened backstage for any school event I remember.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

A lot of parents live vicariously through their children. They say its to teach their child confidence and poise, but its not. Its about 'my kid is prettier than your kid'
    Throw the kid in dance class, little league, piano lessons, etc if you want them to learn confidence, etc.

Its all well and good for little girls to play dress up and wear make up. This isn't play. This is business.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or my kid has more trophies than your kid. Or my daughter is smarter than yours. My mum used to tell everyone in the market when any of us got an award. :shrug:

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Basically you are teaching your kid that all it takes is to be prettier then the other little girls to win lots of trophies and money. That you were better then all those other little girls. Don't you think if your little girl isn't winning or always comes in third it is already putting doubts in their little heads, that they aren't pretty enough.
    Or you have a mother standing there saying why didn't you do this, or move like that.
    I think you are putting insecure self esteem issues on a little girl who shouldn't be even thinking about such things.

I think it's disgusting. I think some of these moms are trying to fullfill something that they missed in their own lives, through their little girls.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

And I don't see any difference between a pageant parent and a parent that pushes their child to excel at a sport they don't want to do. When you make your child live for you and your praise, you ruin them.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How about a parent that pushes their child to excel at math? Or language? Or science? Or getting good grades?

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i think its mostly the mums living through the kids!!

no child should be dressed up with all that make up on and pranced around as if they are on show its the mum's dreams and not the kids!!

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You never dress up your kids?

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA!! (sorry s.a.m) no i dont, not like that anyway, and i sure has hell did not allow make up when my daughter was 5, 6, 7yrs old, and even now i do not allow that much make up!

some of those kids use so much make up that it puts prostitues to shame!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

there is a difference between encouraging/supporting and pushing.

For every Jon Benet, there is a Sufiah Yusof. There is a fine line between a parents dream for their child and the child's dream for themselves. Its a parents job to help their child find their dream. Not to make their dream their child's.

20. draqon Banned Banned

I think having child beauty pageants is wrong because pageants is about a sexual image no matter how the organizers decide to spin it, so no children should be in this sort of thing.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Clearly prostitutes are the flag bearers of the cosmetic industry.

Do you take your children to see movies in which other children are being used as labour for entertainment?

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I agree! If it is wasn't, why don't these kids just go on stage naturally.
    No makeup, fake tans, fake teeth, revealing outfits...etc.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i'm not sure i know what your getting at with that remark!

but sexualising children like that is wrong, there's nothing cute about it, lets face it, its a way of making kids grow up faster than they should!

its not ok for a 8yr old to have a mobile phone buts it ok for a 5yr old to dress like an adult woman and wear make up? :shrug: