Moving to China, what do you know about this country?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Search & Destroy, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I'm moving to China for some english teaching in Changsha, Hunan. I'll be leaving in about two weeks. I remember two weeks before I traveled to Ecuador reality had just started setting in, and real excitement started running through my nerves. Well, after 5 or so months down there I became so accustomed to the culture I felt like it was my own. It's gonna be nuts watching that happen again.

So any advice or tips before I leave? Is sciforums blocked over there?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. retaxis Registered Member

Since i am Northern Chinese and Hunan is for Southerners then i can't offer much. But Southerners are hard working people and can be a little racist at times. But don't worry its not the mean type of racism.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Some one from Canada also went to China to teach English, he has a ongoing thread in the About the Members forum. He still posts here, so it is not banned, thankfully.

Have a good time and do your best

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

thanks Exhumed, ever been?

retaxis, those southerners like to categorize people don't they...

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

9. chuuush Registered Senior Member

I traveled to Shaoxing and Hangzhou in Zhejiang province for 10 days among other places. The people I met were quite friendly and warm. Living there is relatively cheap as I was told. But I didn't like the air pollution in those areas, It had kind of unnaturally warm wheather. I was told it was because people used coal for home use and in factories.
    I myself once lived in Dubai for around two years and believe it is difficult to settle in a foreign country, especially when you like it less than your own. I may soon have to travel and settle in another country for work.

10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I visited Hong Kong and Beijing a few times when I was about 15. It was cool but since I was 15 I was with family the whole time so stuck to traditional sight seeing. But thankfully that alone was pretty good. My favorite was definitely taking a day out to see the Great Wall. It was really stunning. And also it became kind of fun... there were some tour guides who want to sell tours whether you agree to it or not! Me and my brother sprinted over a section of the wall to avoid being forced to pay, but then they caught up, red in the face, a minute later and we had to run again to get away

Not much to offer in terms of experiences living there though. But I think that unless you dislike something like the food or the weather you're probably going to have a good time.

11. dlray Registered Member

it isnt balocked..

welcome to China, and enjoy!

12. FelixC Registered Senior Member

what company is sending you? I need a job, post URL please

did you get a choice on where in China they're sending you?

I want to go to the south, spicy Schezwan, Yunnan or Hunnan

whats the pay, what qualifications did you need?

thanks

13. Creeptology Registered Member

I also know it's estimate than in the next decade over 1 fifth of china will be starving because of the Government funded conversion of paddy field to veg growing and fruit orchards as with the industrialisation there is demand and high price for fruit and veg in the growing cities. Also many are attracted to urbanised areas leaving their rural towns and hence farming livelihoods. Coupled with incorrect growing techniques, overuse of fertiliser and growing under plastic the soil is turning to dust very quickly. Reports say so quick in 10 years the land won't support growing anything and predict mass starvation. The government wont do anything, they even subsidise farmers who decide to convert to give them extra incentive. After all as long as they get their industrialisation what does it matter if the government starves it's people. Oh yeah and China is also one of the biggest supporters of human rights violations world wide. You can see real reports on stuff from some regions on the blog sites of real people not state controlled.

14. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

1400$ a month, 23 teaching hour per week, no college diploma or tesol cert. needed. I do have 5 months TESOL training at a university, and taught a few classes in my time so consider that.

it sounds too good to be true, but it took me 2 months of intense job searching. PM me your email address I can give you the school's name. They have a branch in Taizhou and in Changsha from what I understand.

I doubt there is a better deal around