Safari for Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by superstring01, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstring01 Moderator

Quicktime Updated itself today and auto-downloaded Safari for Windows.

I had always been a bit jealous that I couldn't use it since I don't own a MAC.

At any rate, I'm using it now and it runs smoothly and has some attractive features.

Thoughts?

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm a bit peeved that itunes update bundles safari with itunes, and the checkbox option set to "yes" by default.
    Whenever I install something, I only want what I selected --- not other bloat like new browsers, "google toolbars" and "photo album organizers" and whatnot.

Even worse is that itunes update pops up whenever I open iTunes, and offers me the download.

I'm tempted to categorize iTunes update as a pop up, and uninstall it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

So am i, Itunes is by far the most annoying piece of software installed on my computer, it causes random crashes when i try to sync my Ipod, fails to sync jpegs properly and uses far too much RAM, to list but a few complaints.
    Safari has nothing in particular going for it, Firefox trumps it hands down.
    Do yourself a favour, uninstall safari, download and install firefox, set it as your default browser and never use IE or safari again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

It seems that Safari for Windows is a good competitor for Firefox 2 at the moment, mainly in terms of ACID 2 support and memory usage.

http://codingreflection.com/wordpress/?p=363

Firefox 3 looks like it will take the crown back easily by the end of the year, however.

8. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Exactly, you cant compare the old version of Firefox to the current version Safari.

Also even if Firefox 2 and Safari are on par in terms of memory usage, etc there are many features of Firefox that make it significantly better than IE or Safari.
    Namely; Better security, more features (especially via add ons) and generally things render faster in Firefox (at least compared to IE)

9. river-wind Valued Senior Member

But Firefox 3 isn't out of Beta yet.

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Not even end of the year, it's coming out in June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.