Best Classic Sci-Fi Film & TV Series

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by darksidZz, Apr 9, 2008.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You have opened me... I am seeing you right now :L hi.

Pick 1 classic film to label the best, pick 1 classic tv series to label the best. Explain why and post images of them here + links to full synopsis / ep listing. Thanks.

Sincerely darksidZz

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

8. draqon Banned Banned

9. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why aren't you at work?? :shrug:

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Movie: Well I haven't seen too many sci fi movies that I'd actually call "great." Sure, "Star Wars" but everybody loved that one. I also liked the very first Star Trek Movie, but part of that was just seeing the Star Trek universe done with high-budget modern technology. So I'll vote for "Galaxy Quest." It was very amusing, very nicely done, and it struck a very difficult balance between taking itself too seriously and descending into self-parody.

TV show: On the other hand there have been too many great sci fi TV shows. On a different day I'd be just as likely to vote for Star Trek:TNG or Farscape, but today it's Babylon 5. They did such a great job with emotional issues. I'll never forget the episode when that entire planet's population was dying off because of an AIDS-like epidemic that they couldn't bring themselves to talk about until it was too late. Dr. Franklin worked feverishly and finally came up with the cure and they RAN back to the cargo hold where the people were being cared for by the Minbari... and every single one of them had died. And that tug on our heartstrings wasn't bad enough, we had to deal with the heartbroken Minbari.

It's so nice to see Mira Furlan on "Lost." I think she really is a Minbari.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. onewiththeuniverse onewiththeuniverse Registered Senior Member

The best classic sci fi movie to me would have to be The Day The Earth Stood Still almost tied but in second place would be War Of The Worlds with Gene Barry . The best classic sci fi tv show for me would be the original Outer Limits . There was a very short lived show that starred Joe Morton as the head surgeon of a hospital in space . It was called Mercy Point and it was like a combination of ER and Babylon 5 . It only aired about six or eight shows but I thought it was an excellent show . I'm surprised that the Sci Fi channel hasn't aired the show . Does anyone besides me remember Mercy Point ?

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Good choices, draqon. They're my favourites too.

14. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

TV series:

For younger "TerraHawks"
    For little older "Blake's 7", "Battlestar Galactica" (original), "Planet of the Apes", "Logan's Run" and "Dr. Who"

Movies:

"Alien", "WestWorld", "Flash Gordon" (don't laugh), "The War of the Worlds" (original)

Animated:

"Heavy Metal"

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

red dwarf all the way!! it is funny, well made, well acted, and its so brilliant, i love it, i watch it whenever ita on, and i have all the dvd's. i also have the books signed by robert grant and doug naylor!! excellent!!

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

17. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Well, that never happened.
    Dwarf was brilliant, though.