Adhd

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by CutsieMarie89, Apr 5, 2008.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I got yelled at again by another parent. Her child has been officially diagnosed with Predominantly Hyperactive type Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and she asked me for my opinion on giving her son medication or not. Since I just finished doing a scientific study on the disorder I told her that I thought medication might benefit her son. Then she yelled at me for answering her question. I was wondering if anyone here has ADHD or children or close relation with ADHD and if you/they have taken medication or not and why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

she yelled at you? :bugeye: She is the one who needs medications here...

As far as I see it, it is better to naturally allow the child and guide him to exhibit less ADHD-like behavior.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I thought her son might be happier on medication because then he would stop wandering all over the place and getting in trouble. He doesn't like it when people yell at him, but he can't stop moving it isn't his or his parents fault. But when my brother was on medication he stopped standing up in the middle class and embarrassing himself so he liked it

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Once again, does the medication work? Yes. Should you have the person on medication for a long time? No...because than they will be dependent on it forever and will never change and adapt to the system.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Yeah I think people adapt to my brother, now he isn't on medication and does all he can to not stand up in class, but he kicks people now on accident of course he can't stop moving his legs. Every year all of the kids in his class and his teacher just get used to his habits and don't say anything.

9. kmguru Staff Member

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD. The medicines did not help, do not know if they made it worse. He no longer takes any medication for ADHD. He has an extra conductive path in his heart which causes rapid heart beat (310 bpm) once a while. Because the conductive path is in left ventricle, surgery (RF ablation) is risky but one of these days we may have to have it done.

His ADHD is no longer a major concern. Because he has a high IQ and thus getting upset when interfacing with mere mortals, we do not know, if that frustration is due to ADHD or due to savant level IQ.

10. draqon Banned Banned

:roflmao: :roflmao: nice gusto there

11. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Jerk. Her, not you. Obviously, she did not want you to answer the question -- she want you to confirm what she already decided. When you failed to cooperate, she got mad.