Violence and Kids!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Apr 4, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

many kids play violent video games, i.e MANHUNT!, GTA, and many others, and also read violent books, (for the kids that read that is anyway), but the question i put to you is,

can these violent pastimes really make a differance to making these kids violent? to much, does it make kids violent? or to little and the kids are not violent at all?

Does anyone else here think that if your going to rape, murder, burgerlise, assault, mug, people then your going to do it anyway, regardless of what you play and read?

I have to admit i will go with Stephen King on this when it was put to him, he said "if your a violent kid, then no book or game will make any differance"

And if it is the games they play, then what can be done to reverse such fealings?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Metaphorical value?

The first thing that springs to mind is that, if a video game, a song, a book or movie or whatever, can create violence in a person, there is something amiss about the person to begin with. In the practical sense, if these things make a kid violent, what did the parents fail to do properly? I adore fictional violence. Hellraiser is beautiful to me. But that's just the thing: it's fictional. It's out in some other realm. It isn't real. Nothing about that film (especially the film) made me want to go put hooks through my face or anyone else's.

But I will say it made other art that much more poignant:

Sometimes she shines, and I know
    Beauty has her way.
    With her hooks in your face,
    Beauty has her way.
    Lights down, we drown, and I know
    Beauty has her way.
    This plain day,
    Beauty has her way.

(Mummy Calls°)​

Notes:

° Mummy Calls — I know. I know. I can't explain it, either, but it was either that or the Sailor Moon video. But hey, it's a few minutes of a nostalgic crush.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I do and have played violent games and watched violent films since I can remember, and I'm one of the least violent people I know. I believe it's down to good parenting, as I would never imagine imitating a GTA game for example.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

people just can not admit the cause is shitty parenting

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Same here. Sure, I have fun imagining ways i could strangle my dearest enemy.. but hey, who doesn't ?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I was growing up we played cowboys and indians killing as many of ourselves as we could (fake dying that is) and also played war games , I went hunting also killing wild hogs and deer. So I wasn't any less avoiding killing than they are today , its just played out differently.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My Mom and her sisters tied the 3 neighbor brothers to a telephone pole while playing cowboy/indians. Then they proceeded to gather kindling to set them on fire, which the boy's mom stopped just in time.
    Didn't need video games to learn that.

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

When children observe violence they are more likely to have violebnt our bursts especially when they see an adult behaving in a violent manner.

Its not just video games, although they are immersive and harder for children to distinguish them from reality.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

observe violence, as in corporal punishment?

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

So gangster rap can't be linked to violence?

The "bad parenting" is a given and not really a valid part of the question since you're assuming a good parent would limit or explain. Also, it's not mentioned in th OP. just the exposure is.

14. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I don't think that violence is really a problem, it's hurtuing people which is the problem. When I was little I used to fight with every one of my cousins and friends. I used to play football and other sports too. Even today I often box or slap-box people, but I never hurt anyone who didn't jump the shit out of me or take something from me.

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think it makes a difference. I have to emersed in all things violent and gory. Seeing blood doesn't bother me and seeing dead bodies doesn't bother me. I have a talent for martial arts, but I've never been in a fist fight. I love video games and they do have rating systems, but I think the key is reminding your kids that the stuff that they see or do in video games is just fantasy. When my brother was little he used to think that the games he was playing were taking place in reality and thought that he was actually killing people, but now he won't even play football because he's afraid of hurting people.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

LA according to all the resurch i have read the conclusion is either NO in most cases or maybe.

It seems that only people who have vilont tendancies ALREADY are likly to be influanced and that is more along the lines of the HOW to do it rather than should i do it or not. This is why there seems to be an increase in what could be called copy cat crimes from TV and movies without there being a generlised increase in those types of crimes