Wake up time = evil

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by BarbieGirl14, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

So... I'm a little worried about waking up.

Basicly I have an alarm clock, watch, and cell phone that goes off at 5am every morning.

Sometimes they wake me up... Most of the time they dont though.

It's not a huge problem because my dad wakes me too. I'm not hard to wake either... All he does is touch me or say my name and i'm up like instantly....

What i'm worried about, is when i grow up... what if I cant wake up.. What if i sleep through my alarms as much as I do now...

I'm guessing this is because I sleep with my head phones on, but dad usually takes them off after I fall asleep... You may say.. sleep without music... But I cant... I'm not like afraid of the dark.. but if I sleep without music... its like I'm so conciouse to everything... Like I think ALOT and cant fall asleep.. or I hear something and then get scared and cant sleep.. Music kinda puts me to sleep lol so I need it.

Sooo... is anyone else like this to? Do you grow out of it?

I'm just realy worried ill miss colege or something when I grow up lol

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I really think that you worry about to much. Stop it and just start living.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I have fantasies about smashing my alarm clock many days over. Problem is is that if I do that I might find it hard to get to work on time!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Does it matter? You'll always find a job won't you? :shrug:

8. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Yeah!!! There are always jobs available for those who want to work!!!

I need to get one of those alarm clocks where I can control the music, put in my own stuff, then I could wake up to something nice!!!

I have noticed that when I wake up to a song, it tends to stick in my head through out the day!

How about you?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't use alarm clocks myself, I'm retired!

10. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Aren't you lucky!!!
    I can't wait until I retire...but at the rate things are going I will never get to...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They make really, REALLY loud alarm clocks. You just don't have one. People with a serious problem can get a device attached to their bed that shakes it if they don't turn it off soon enough.
    Do you get to bed early enough? It's very possible that you're simply not getting enough sleep and your body is trying to save you from the harm that sleep deprivation causes.

Here comes the old "walking six miles through the snow to buy music on giant vinyl discs" story, but it's true that when I was in high school in the 1950s I was in bed by 10:00 on school nights and there were NO exceptions. So it wasn't that hard to get up at 6:00. And no cheating, we didn't have tiny high-intensity lamps to read a comic book under the blanket in those days and we didn't have a phone at all, much less a cellphone. Almost all people your age need 8 hours of sleep every night, period. Without it you won't get through life very well. Most grownups don't get enough sleep either, so they're not setting a very good example for their children.
    Like I say, they have technology for people with that problem. Don't worry about it. A simple low-tech solution is to train a dog to jump up on the bed and wake you up when he hears the sound of the alarm. My dogs know that the first thing I do when I wake up is give them some lovin', so when they hear the alarm they roll over and start kissing me.
    When you have your own place you can play the music over loudspeakers so you won't have to sleep with headphones.
    No, I'm a musician. I would never encourage someone to turn their music off.

Play it through speakers and set it turn off in an hour or two. By then you'll be sleeping deeply enough that you won't notice it shut off.

But if you can't stop thinking and you're thoughts keep you awake, there are a number or things in your life to examine:
    • Do you "wind down" before bed, or just try to turn yourself off like a toggle switch? Most bodies don't work that way.
    • You need a transitional period between waking activity and sleep. Read a book that doesn't scare you or get you excited. Play with your dog. (Yes, dogs are very important.

) Cut yourself off from other people so you're not in the middle of a high-energy chat about something really interesting and then you expect to fall asleep.
    • But if music works, there's nothing wrong with that, just do it.
    • Something that was discovered recently: We all need about half an hour of solar-spectrum light (sunlight or a special fluorescent light that simulates the same frequencies) every day. It recalibrates our "circadian rhythm," our internal clock that tells us when it's day and when it's night. For reasons we don't understand, our bodies are tuned to a 25-hour cycle, so every day they have to be reminded to "set the clock ahead" by one hour. Most kids spend more time outdoors than most grownups do so it's not usually a problem, but I thought I'd mention it. Maybe you're into the Goth scene.

It's pretty typical to sleep less soundly as you grow older. Most people also wake up earlier. As your body gets older it starts losing its ability to repair itself at night, so it doesn't have any reason to sleep as long. I was a really good sleeper at your age, I could stay conked out for nine hours. Nowadays I wake up after six, sometimes less.

As for getting scared by sounds, you'll grow out of that too. Even if you never quite figure out what they are, your unconscious mind simply gets used to them and doesn't bother sending alarm signals to your consciousness.
    College students are famous for being late to class, especially in the morning. Fortunately you have more control over your own schedule than you have in high school so you might be able to minimize the number of early morning classes. If you live on campus it will be a short walk so you can roll out of bed at 8:30 and be in class by 9:00 in a t-shirt and no makeup.

But the real key to this with almost all of the young people I talk to is that they don't get enough sleep so their bodies don't want to wake up. They have too much homework, they have A.P. classes with special assignments, they play too many sports, they're learning to play too many musical instruments, dance class, all kinds of clubs, plus a social life that my generation couldn't have dreamed of. If you have to get up at five, you should really be in bed by nine, or at worst no later than ten.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you get up at the same time everyday, after some time you won't need an alarm clock.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I've always woken up before my alarm goes off. It's been this way my entire life. I'm pretty sure I'm on some sort of rhythm, or experience anticipation in my sleep.....or perhaps by brain never drops below X cycles per second (unless under anesthesia?). Dunno.

Have you ever noticed any sort of pattern to waking?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It seems that when my eyes open, I awaken every time!

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

It appears you are relying on your father to wake you up.
    Could the two of you work it out somehow that he doesn't wake you up anymore? You're not a little girl anymore.

This is not to say that it doesn't feel good to be woken up by your parent - because it does feel good.
    But your father waking you up and taking care of you (taking your headphones off) might in this case not be good for you because you are not learning to rely on yourself to wake up.

How about the two of you agree that he doesn't wake you up anymore, nor take your head phones off?
    And instead, the two of you meet for breakfast at, say, 6 AM (or whenever it is you have breakfast), and also have a chat in the evening before you go to bed?
    This way, you'll be left to yourself to wake up, but your contact with your father won't suffer.
    Give it a try for a week or so, see how it goes.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There are adults who rely on their spouse to wake them up, and they get along okay. But you don't want to set yourself up to be one of these adults. You might not be lucky enough to have a spouse who gets up at the same time you do. Or he might have an aversion to filling the role of "dad".

It's perhaps a little more common for a wife to drag her husband out of bed, but that's just the bad old gender roles. In any case, most of these adults are people who don't get enough sleep. People who get enough sleep wake up because their bodies are ready to wake up.

There are adults who can sleep for ten or twelve hours, but unless it's the result of exhaustion from physical labor, sleeping off too many drugs, or a rare condition out of a medical textbook, it's usually a symptom of depression. Escaping from real life by sleeping through it. I don't expect to encounter this condition in teenagers, but these days with the kinds of stress they're under I suppose it happens more frequently than we would hope. College placement, choosing a career, fitting in with the crowd, romance, sex, drugs, A.P. classes, sports, etc.--my generation didn't have to deal with most of that stuff. Even in high school we were still enjoying our relatively carefree childhood.

Still I think the most likely cause of a teenager having trouble waking up is that she didn't go to bed early enough. For that I blame her parents, as well as the other adults that let her grow up too fast and make her life too complicated, and then on top of it they give her too much work to do.

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

My son has a bad case of sleep apnea in which he can sleep for hours and if you can wake him up, he's completely unrested. FWIR, it's because he's not cyclling through the dream states and instead just goes way under and stays there.It becomes dangerous when the brain forgets to tell the organs to keep functioning. We've been fighting this for years and have spent a lot of time just trying to strengthen the muscles in his bladder.

I know where he gets it. When I was a youth I went through the same thing to a lesser extent but I was ALWAYS late for school and I'm sure it affected my ability to learn.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's me. Doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I seem to wake up at the same time. About 2 min before the alarm goes off. Sucks when I want to sleep in on the weekends and can't.

My son had a problem waking up, so we put his alarm clock on the other side of the room. That way he had to get out of bed and wake up a bit to shut it off.

19. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

Lol, omg I know that kinda..

Sunday night I went to slept at 3:50am after learning about fire on here.....

Monday night "last night" I went to bed at 2:00am after attempting to learn about acceleration of gravity.

Dad wakes at 5:00am, and wakes me.. Then I wake, and usually look at my watch, and go back to sleep. Then He wakes me at 5:30, and I whine and cry about how I so dislike ballet lol. "Thats why I have to wake earlie". Then ballet from 6-7. Get ready for school from 7-8, and school at 9:20.

The problem is there is never enough time! I have ballet from after school 3:00 until 5:00, and then we always go eat at some restaurant because he is horrible at cooking lol. So I get home at like.. 6 or 6:30pm... Tonight I won't get home untill 8pm cause were going to the mall to go shopping. "dad gets payed monthly, so the beginning of the month we get to go cloths shopping.

Anyways, I think my point is, is I want to have fun too. The only time i get to be alone and think or play is night. My bed time is 9:00pm. Dad doesn't mind if i'm awake as long as i'm in bed.

Honestly, could you get home at 6:30 everynight and bed by 9:00?

The waking myself up idea... I honestly think i'm to lazy. I swear the only thing that wakes me in the morning is the fear of getting yelled at... If he just started leting me wake on my own, i'd be like "no thanks" lol.

About music.... OMG I LOVE waking to two things.

1. "hey astin lets go shopping"

and

2. A really good song... loud song lol

Anyways, maby I should move to another planet where they have 50 hour days.

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Bragger!! I myself am striving for "FREEDOM 40"

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I have always had a hard time getting out of bed. I actually got left home from our vacation in Florida, because I wouldn't get up. My parents left a hundred dollar bill on the counter, and left me in bed.

I'm a "night owl" forced to be an early bird. I combat this with a very strict schedule....after a while it gets easier.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I have the exact same problem. I have two alarm clocks set 10 minutes apart now.. works like a charm

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

get a louder alarm or have kids! you will havea personal alarm clock then!!!