How much do you stake on your opponent being wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by greenberg, Mar 31, 2008.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Either as a religious or as a non-religius person who participates in discussions and debates about religion, how much do you stake on your opponent being wrong?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I never think they are wrong only misguided.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

It seems clear that I stake occasional irritation and frustration on it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yorda Registered Senior Member

i would bet my life that the people who think there is no afterlife are wrong.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

i do not understand the question
    is one held to enter a debate much the same way one would shoot craps in vegas?

9. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

IOW, How important is it to you in a discussion or debate that your opponent would be wrong?

10. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

More like a poker game with no house cut. And probably with most people who post they are risking something when they make a post, especially an OP. Experienced risk and loss and gain.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that's what i'm saying...why does it have to be about "you're wrong, and i'm right" or vice versa. can't it just be a discussion...an honest sharing of ideas?

people's viewpoints differ for a reason, and that's because we're all different people with a different view of this world. you aren't always going to agree, but you can always learn something from a different perspective either way.

a lot of ego-maniacal crap that goes on out here sometimes bugs the f*&k out of me, and it really diminishes the quality of the discussions had, and the potential for learning from each other. and the experience in communicating.

i mean, i've been brought to tears over somebody needing to be right or their ego couldn't take it. just because we disagree. how "right" is that behavior?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

as would i, but it would still be nice to be able to communicate with someone even if you were unsure or had a different opinion than them, without fear of getting your head bitten off...called names...made fun of...rejected...ignored.

this question is all about the ego, and the fall of mankind is inherent within it.

13. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Because the struggle of life is everyhwere.

There is no such thing, and anyone who claims there is is either ignorant, in denial or lying.

14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Riiight. Why bother listening when you can make up other people's answers yourself!

15. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

So you don't think that Greenberg was wrong to have phrased the issue that way?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My debates are usually about putting my thoughts out there and assessing the responses to them. This helps me to clarify the position of my own opinions and viewpoints.

So I guess, I am staking "my self" .

17. Gustav Banned Banned

the players are inconsequential. the argument is not. shit like this is cerebral not emotional. why one would want to primp oneself like a peacock in a forum where identity remains anonymous for the most part is beyond me.

is this a presentation in a job interview where you hope and pray the rest are
    brutish retards? is quality of life impacted by this so called "opponent" pointing out your illogic?

why would you not celebrate cos you goddamn learned something? would it not be an op to discard a misconception?

are you proposing that we all are disingenuous in here?
    what gives you the goddamn right to project your fucking insecurities and hangups on goddamn me?

justify
    i find lori's take quite solid

18. Gustav Banned Banned

what?
    did you not just presume motivations as carved in stone?

who the fuck is not listening? 3 goddamn options. how generous of you.
    sickening!

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

no, he phrased it just fine. i understood the question, and answered it with my opinion. which of course isn't good enough, because it's not claiming to be right or wrong...just heard. nobody can say anything out here without a fight about who's right. and odds are that none of us are right about much.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yes, you have made me feel this way in the past. congratulations, tiger.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

detachment
    impartiality
    independence
    intellect
    dispassion
    objectivity

all are foreign concepts to you, eh green?

22. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Not at all. This is about us. Without the players, the argument does not matter - because there is noone to whom it would matter.

Arguments are tools that we utilize to suceed in life. The more we use and need a tool, the more we appreciate it, the more we feel threatened to have that tool taken away from us or find it lacking.

Of course. Finding that one was wrong puts one is a lesser or greater crisis and the urge to find a new, better solution. During that time, one will be less or more vulnerable.

Sure. But learning something is useful only when it helps to succeed in life. Learning for the sake of learning is a waste of time and energy.

No.
    Some people are, however, more aware of their motivations than other people.
    Some people are more willing to admit their motivations than other people.

23. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

What are you complaining about?
    You have God, Jesus and God love you and you will go to eternal heaven.
    What does it matter to you what happens to you here?

Should I not take your religion seriously?

I am one of the few who actually take you and your religion seriously, mind you.