Cults!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lucifers angel, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I know we have various religions, catholism, judaism, latter day saints, and we also have religions like,

Church of Scientology, Branch Davidians , People's Temple , Heaven's Gate ,

who are known has cults!

they (i have been told) brainwash people, but so do all the other, organised religions, so what makes these cults differant to organised religions??

the all brain wash people to belive in a higher power!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The big religions don't like it when other "cults" start to take away their people from them. That's the only real difference. They mostly do the same shit to their followers, brainwasah them into believing whatever their dogma is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

so would you agree they are all cults?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I think cults go a bit further than religions...they are not as widespread as religion and are local based fractions of believers. What makes cults unlike a religious belief is that cults indulge usually in some sort of activities. In Russia...there are soooooooo many cults. They all have rituals, some are painless...others cause death of its members.

For example this...

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=172195&tid=50533

Current News! What you see here is a hill in it are 30 people of a cult of believers that there will be an Armageddon comet smashing into Earth this year and thus they dag out this hole in a hill deep beneath it and now (currently) are living there for the past 5 months. This is a cult.

Well stuff like this happens in Russia on regular basis...they make up these activities/rituals...I used to be part of Adventists of Seventh Day Saints and we used to bathe and wash ourselves in this small river as a ritual, so I was lucky there.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When a "cult" is large enough it becomes a religion!

9. draqon Banned Banned

Yeah but a cult becomes large enough because it takes away some of its rituals or beliefs to suit the masses.

10. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

You start as a cult and when governments take you off their 'nefarious factions to be watched' lists or become members of your cult then you are a religion.

11. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

What about the cult of not really quite believing anything. You know, you believe in a little science, you are somewhat superstitious but don't take it that seriously and you tend to believe what you read in the papers and what the government says.

Does the banalness of belief make something a cult?

Isn't the above 'cult' I just described really quite pernicious giving its stamp to all sorts of violence neglect desctruction......

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but...is it right to say, that they are both the same thing, they brain wash you to belive they're own version of what christ is, and they make you prayer to that god??

13. draqon Banned Banned

oh you cant even imagine how much happiness you gave to me, I missed someone use that word "banalness" for so many years

The belief must be logical in a sense, so yes banalness does play a role...if the cult says the world will end in two days well

14. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

The belief must be logical....?!
    But are the banal beliefs logical. I am afraid of wandering off into a political tangent, but think of some of the things the people in the cult I proposed have believed because they were told.

15. draqon Banned Banned

well ok...less probability wise is what I meant.

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

The seemingly typical understanding of the difference between 'cult' and 'religion' merely comes down to numbers. A cult has few followers, a religion has many. There are other implications but that seems to be the general idea.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Thats not really the general idea. Cults take over a persons life, usually they have a living leader who is just really manipulating them and is usually pretty crazy, sometime outright insane. They usually live with the other members or only associate with other member, sometimes give all their money to them too. It is mind control and it it hard to leave them. For these reasons Scientology is not really considered a cult.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

the latter day saints give they're money to the church i think its now, 10% (I THINK) so does that make it a cult? also they have people they worship, like the bishop!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What about the Moonies? Do they have enough members to not be a cult anymore?

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

I want to be the first to say banality. Where's the cigar ?

21. John99 Banned Banned

I am not sure what they give but i am sure most of the members can afford it and they are doing it because they want to. There are too many Christian charities to list and the members are not going broke so i dont see it as a problem. That is not to say that some groups dont break away and become cults because there are examples of that but like i said earlier, in U.S the government does not let these things fester for long because they usually are dangerous and have leaders who are pretty crazy and just looking to control them. Also leaving and discussing exactly what goes on amongst the members is not that big of a deal with mainstream religions, this is not true with a cult. Thats as far as i know but i am not a religion expert so i dont know if that is true with all religions.

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

I was about to say it's a matter of numbers but you beat me to it. If one man says he talks to good, he's likely to be treated for mental illness. If a thousand people say they talk to god on sundays, they are normal.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i was a mormon for a long time (until we had a disagreement) and i had to give 10% of my weekly earnings to the church and i couldnt afford it! so no not most members can afford it!