Religious Continuations, Splits and Foundings

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I often hear that Christianity is a continuation of Judaism. I think this makes sense because the people who founded Christianity were proselytizing Jews. So one could argue that Christian-Jews split off from Judaism forming Christianity.

Mormonism would therefore be a continuation of Christianity because the founders were Christians. So one could argue that Mormon-Christians split off from Christianity forming The Church of Jesus Christ and Later Day Saints.

Scientology on the other hand, in my mind, is not a continuation of Christianity. It’s an entirely new religion. But that isn’t to say that there is absolutely no Christianity found in the “Prophecies” of The Prophet Ron L. Hubbard (I believe Ron maintained he was once Christ incarnate as well as Buddha if I remember correctly). So one could argue that even though Ron adapted some Christianity and Buddhism into his religion his new religion was not founded on a movement made up of Christians and Buddhists.
    So Scientology is not a continuation of Christianity (or Buddhism for that matter).

With this in mind it seems to me that Islam is also not a continuation of Christianity or Judaism. Unlike Mormonism it was not founded by Christians. It was also not a continuation of Judaism - unlike Christianity it was not founded by Jews. It seems reasonable to me that Islam is a New Religion. But that isn’t to say that there is absolutely no Christianity/Judaism found in the “Prophecies” of "The" Prophet Mohammad. Many (not all) believe Mohammad maintained he was the last in a line of Christian/Jewish Prophets. So one could argue that even though Mohammad adapted some Christianity/Judaism into his New Religion his religion was not founded on a movement made up of Christians or Jews.
    So Islam no more a continuation of Christianity than is Scientology.

Baha’i on the other hand is a continuation of Islam. I think this makes sense because the people who founded Baha’ism were Muslims. So one could argue that Baha’i-Muslims split off from Islam forming Baha’ism.

Interesting huh?
    Michael

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008