20% of Democrats to vote McCain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Mar 22, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It seems the extended Democratic primary has left voters with a bitter taste in their mouth and polarized them to the point that 1/5 of Democratic voters ssy they'll vote for McCain in the general election if their candidate doesn't get the nomination.
    The result?
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200803/POL20080321a.html
    Now, of course, it's very early and these sort of polls don't really mean that much at this point. BUT, this primary season is quite likely to drag out all the way to the convention and who knows what will happen there. But unless Clinton and Obama somehow reach a friendly accomodation, the bitterness of the primary could well spill over into the general election and hand the election to McCain.

Rush Limbaugh, meanwhile, is still advising that Republicans cross over and vote in Democratic primaries to keep the race going as long as possible. He dubs this "Operation Chaos".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That would approximately match the poll numbers for a McCain/Clinton or McCain/Obama election from the last four months.

So no change there.

If McCain keeps getting the benefit of favorable media attention (both in attacking his foes and covering for him) that has been industry standard so far, that is a reasonable prediction for the fall election. He has been polling as the strongest Rep candidate (Edwards was polling as the strongest Dem candidate) for a while now. McCain polled as beating Clinton and Obama back in December.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think it's dishonest and not really fair or democratic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

three choices

1) woman
    2) black dude
    3) military dude

...what is your choice?

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The only chance for the democrats now is to combine #1 and #2 (like voltron).

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Ooooo bitterness. Who cares? McCain is running out of money, and the more he talks, the less he is able to keep up the pretense that he knows what he's talking about. The Democrats have the spotlight now, because they are the only ones most Americans care about.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You may be right, the "dream ticket".

11. superstring01 Moderator

Partisans like to talk like that. But the truth is, on election day, it will be ridiculously close. Whilst there is much [deserved] animosity against the Repulicans, there is equal amounts of trepidation about a woman and/or black man [who too many claim is a secret Muslim] running for the high office as well.

These two factors will counterballance eachother in November and will certainly make for a close election.

"Dream ticket" indeed. It may be their only hope.

~String

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Image by keeping them fighting you might force them into the most winnable position.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Wow, what an over simplistic view...

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

McCain should win so the Republicans are stuck with the mess they created. Its amazing that they would fied yet another man without any foresight in Iraq and one most likely to plunge them (and the rest of the sheeple) into a continuing circle of war and economic collapse.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I was thinking that too, have peak oil blamed on him, but I have no clue what McCain will do in response. Obama and Hillary say they will do a "New Apollo project" for alternatives, which is money some of which would in theory trickle into a grant for me (and 3 million others), so in short obama or hillary are my choice.

16. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I think the only direction McCain can go from here is down. Right now he is getting highly favorable coverage. After some scrutiny by the media, I can't fathom how any moderates are going to vote for him.

If you go to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18970417/ and go to the video section, there is a video "Is John McCain getting a free ride?" (you can probably click off the main page right now, but that will change in a while, but it should be easy to find when you get to the video section, I'll look for a youtube link after I post).

The video mentions this week the NYT publicized an interview with Hagee, which features Hagee saying McCain actively sought his endorsement, and then goes on to mention the highly distasteful comments of Hagee. Also, McCain kept saying Iran was training Al Qaeda, and he compared a holiday that commemorates Jews being saved from mass execution to Halloween.

McCain's flaws seem to be hidden, for now, but don't bank on that trend indefinitely.

Youtube link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cs-LqhK-c4Y CLICK IT NOW!!

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Which brings up an interesting point: how is it that a ridiculous notion such as Obama being a "secret Muslim" is going to be kept alive as a significant factor in the national electorate ?

What is the process by which goofy shit like that becomes established in the public domain, to the point that it endangers the political integrity of the country as a whole ?

Only if you care more about the fate of the Democratic Party than the country as a whole. I don't mind seeing the Dems stuck with this mess - they can handle it better, and if it wrecks them so what ? We might be needing some elbow room for another Party anyway.

I don't want to be stuck with an executive government that, say, responds to a serious oil shock by cutting the capital gains tax, or to a major California earthquake by removing the environmental restrictions on oil drilling off the shore near San Francisco, or to a major regulatory financial crisis by borrowing money to rebate a couple hundred dollars of people's income taxes. The Reps have been taken over by Reagan's Keystone Kops, and the keys to the White House should be in other hands for a while.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Fixed

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's easy to believe in anything out of fear.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not when someone calling you a bigot because of it.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

wizard's first rule people will believe something to be true if they fear it to be true or they want it to be true

22. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i think the economic collapse will force the west to find an alternative for oil-which already exists. then the balance of power will shift against saudi arabia. who knows, maybe that was GW planed all alone. why do you think iran is on the rise? they smell the saudis blood. what does it have to do with mccain? that he probably understand it.

23. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Big maybe.

What makes you say that?

EDIT: Missed this:

Could it have something to do with the fact that the two powers Iran was sandwiched between have been eliminated?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008