On dealing with potentialities

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by greenberg, Mar 21, 2008.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

First of all, this is in interdiciplinary topic - it isn't strictly philosophical, because it also takes into consideration psychological (and possible other aspects). I am posting it in this forums because I hope it will get the most attention.

Suppose there is something that might be true. There is plenty of such things: God, genetic predisposition for some diseases, impact of a large celestial body on planet Earth, a new strain of dangerous bacteria or viruses ...

If it would be true, it would have significant consequences for you: either good or bad, but significant either way. (But usually bad.)

Presently, you cannot find out whether it is true or not,
    nor does it seem that you will be able to find out in any foreseeable time or with any foreseeably available means.

What do you do?

How do you relate to that which, if it would be true -but you presently cannot find out- would have significant consequences for you?

What would be a wise general attitude in dealing with such potentialities?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm. To me, wise is practical.

In this scenario, you've basically set up a no-win. The only "win" I can see (in the sense of finding foreknowledge or gaining wisdom directly from it) is to detach yourself enough from it to be able to find a means of engaging it rationally while minimizing dread, and that could be a dead end.

Side note: I take the term "bad" at arm's length as something being "bad" is wholly dependent upon attitude. For instance, the company I worked for went out of business over a year ago. It was "bad" for a short period of time, but it was also a big opportunity - bad is ascertained through focus on it, usually.

But back on topic:

You've described a non-issue, as it is self-negating.

"something bad will probably happen!"
    "I can't really know if something bad is goign to happen!"

IMO, this is not "positive thinking" in the sense of a feedback loop if you will. It's "circular thinking". Of course that can be productive in different ways, but doesn't really allow thinking to progress. It could simply be a bias induced by chemistry. If so, then it is the person in the scenario's function to be a stinking worry head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Doesn't scratch your itch I see.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Pollution and global warming used to be "non-issues", too. Until they happened.

"Living for the present" might be nice, but it can also cost you your future or at least part of it.
    As many newly homeless Americans have learned to know, or people who carelessly engaged in sex and caught HIV.

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Sure, but since they weren't known - nothing could be done. All one can do is remain aware that problems arise and learn to deal with them as efficiently as possible. It is terribly innefficient to spend excessive resources towards unknowns. Risk management is about the extent of it no?

You seem to be scoffing at the idea completely, as if it's unthinkable to you... perhaps somewhat detestable. As if it's a shirk of the responsibility we should all bear... you bear it, so why shouldn't everyone? Is that it? Sorry if it isn't, I'm just poking around.

The stupidest, random shit in the world can cost you your future or part of it and you may never even know it.

Do you think some people simply lack the capacity to remove themselves from worry? Do you think you might be one of them? If you could learn a method to remove yourself from it, would you choose to?

Well then they made poor decisions and unfortunately, are stuck with the consequences. The idea of course is to make better choices and with any luck, those choices allow as much of a future as you can have.

But you seem to expect some particular future, and be emotionally invested in it. What are your expectations, and why are you so invested? Is 'to survive' enough? Do you have a destiny to fulfill? What is it about the future you value enough to spend the present so concerned about it?

9. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

(a side note: there seems to me something different between something that might happen and something that might be true)

At the risk of it being considered a non-answer: I let intuition take care of my attitude. My past history and the ways in which I have been damaged and hurt affects my intuition. As I have loosed the backlog from this damage and hurt, my intuition seems more keyed in with current potentials and liklihoods rather than assuming that now will be like the past.

Where I encounter incredible complexity I allow my intuition to take a much stronger role. If, for example, a minority group of scientists said we were going to be hit by an asteroid, I might read their arguments. In other words I might engage my rational mind and do some critical thinking. But in general I leave the bulk of the word to intuition staying open to information - but even here, at the dictates of intuition.

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

As far as pollution is concerned: That was a reasonably predictable threat. All one had to do is to look into one's trash bin, then the landfills, and do some math.

Of course. But many things are reasonably predictable.

Yes on all counts.

For one, are you not concerned how you will deal with the crash of global economics? Are you confident things will work out fine for you? Are you confident you have the psychological and philosophical means to accomodate for drastic and mostly detrimental changes in your life, in terms of finances, health, safety?

For two, ever thought that you might be born again in some form or other and then this whole circle of life and joy and suffering would happen all over again, and again, and again, infinitely. Does this not fill you with dread?
    Or even worse, that you might end up in hell for all eternity?

This is quite an extent of the risk, is it not?
    And risk management is about the extent of it, no?

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Yes and no. It's not that there is trash that is the problem, it's that the trash screws stuff up. It wasn't as easy to see how.

It's hard to react to something that isn't real... yet.

Well I do think worrying is often an inescapable personality trait, or it would seem through my experience. It seems it runs in families to me. I have a feeling it's biological, but it could just be conditioning. Do you think it's possible to condition your mind away from excessive worry? I think worry is sometimes reasonable, when for instance there is a pending problem that requires action or decision making, but it seems like many tend to take on responsibility for things they can't be responsible for.

Well I'm not positive there will be a total crash, but it could happen.

Well I think in all but the worst case I'll probably muddle through, and in the worst case I'm dead. Regardless of what happens I think I have something to offer people in exchange for food and shelter and junk, so my chances are decent.

I don't think my degree of confidence there has anything to do with the reality of whatever of them may "go drastic" on me. Regardless, yeah. It's funny what you can deal with when you have no choice. When it's down to a matter of no choice, there's no choice. Not dealing with it doesn't change that. So in whatever way, I'd deal with it. So yeah, I'm pretty confident I could withstand most stuff. Certain things could surely kill my sanity, extreme torture, death of a child, complete economic failure, becoming paralized maybe. Each would take quite some time to regain a reasonable perspective I'd guess - but I think I have a decent chance at bouncing back, and a reasonable chance of being able to avoid the badness. If it's badness I can't avoid, well then I couldn't avoid it so it's just a matter of dealing with the adjustment to reality and moving on if possible.

Lol, no.

Lol, no. Seriously, even if that were to happen you couldn't know it so who cares?

Last thing on my list of worries. I really, REALLY don't worry about this, like NEVER. Hell? I don't think there's such a thing, sounds terrifically ludicrous to me. First hell would have to exist, then I'd have to "deserve" to go there. I doubt both cases in the extreme.

Only if you're prone to entertain it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008