Obama mania spreads rapidly overseas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LORD_VOLDEMORT, Mar 21, 2008.

1. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

THE WORLD LOVES OBAMA!!!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have heard that too, especially in Kenya. Thom Hartman went to Darfur, and on the way there, he had a cab driver that said if Obama became president there just might be peace on Earth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

Yes true,with the exception of Australia,most foreign countries tend to receptive toward black americans.In iraq my cousin told me they used to say it wasnt a war on Black men,its a war on white america.Believe it or not most foreign countries carry extremely similar views to that of Reverend Wright.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Now that's just plain silly. There's no one that can make that happen. Obama is just another human with no great gift other than the ability to give good speeches. He has never worked a day in his life doing anything really useful except to talk.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Wow according to you, all those white supremacists were right, there is going to be a race war.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's pretty much all Dr. King could do, it's no small skill.

10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I heard he is huge in Japan, too.

11. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

I think people are genuinely excited about having an American President who just might deliver what hes been preaching. Me, ill wait till he actually gets in office and delivers before I draw any conclusions

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

What a facile comparison...

Dr. King developed a personal philosophy of civil disobedience, organized an entire movement of tens of thousands, led that movement and helped get the Civil Rights Act passed in Congress. He did all this at great personal risk — and, as we all know, was eventually killed for his efforts.

Obama, on the other hand, has done nothing more than get elected to office a few times and show that he is an impressive public speaker. He has no significant legislation in his past, no history of standing up on any issue and leading.

To compare the two would be amusing if your purpose weren't so obvious.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And they both involved inspiring speech. You are belittling what Obama does by equating it to a Ronald Reagan-like actor's skill for public speaking, but it's more than that.

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now your just stereotyping....

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I agree that Obama's accomplishments do not compare with King's. But there is no sense in denigrating his visible accomplishment of the past two years, in attracting, putting, and holding together - largely by his own efforts, at bottom - an extraordinarily effective 50 state national campaign for the Presidency.

And without Atwater stunts, no Rovian media manipulation involved. Straight campaigning.

That's something Reagan, say, never did. Or either one of the Bush's. Or any of the Republican candidates this time. Maybe Clinton would be the closest comparison - Bill, not Hillary.

Even if you credit only the people he attracted, with the mechanics, that is a reasonable consideration in evaluating his likelihood of performance on the job. If he's only fronting, he's fronting for legitimate competents in at least one arena.
    If they have any say in the matter, they'll start one - against cockroaches, I think is the term.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Obama is no Dr. King and to even try to compair him to Dr. King is very far fetched. Dr. King spent his entire life ready to die for the recognition of freedom for the black peoples. Obama only is riding on what Dr. King has made possible. As I said, Obama hasn't really done much but talk, no real actions to prove his worth or his credibility. He is but a seed amongst the weeds.

17. countezero Registered Senior Member

No, I'm not. I'm saying King achieved historic things through his leadership. He changed an entire society, something few leaders can claim. Obama has achieved little more than electoral success and headlines. He has changed nothing, except perhaps the perception that a black man cannot be a serious contender for the White House, achieved less.

I agree with most of what you say, and did not mean to denigrate. I only wanted to jolt Spider back from his Obamism to reality, in which, his comparison was sophomoric.

I agree the campaign has been impressive, though unlike you, I think it has been lucky to be aided by the sort of sentiment the WSJ captured in the op-ed I posted elsewhere. But if for nothing else, Obama deserves credit for turning the Clinton machine on its head — and that's no small feat.

Still, his success at campaigning in no way translates into the sort of leadership he constantly speaks about. Getting elected is one thing. The ability to be effective and accomplish political goals is something else. And right now, based on his record, he looks to be the weakest of the three remaining candidates when it comes to actually achieving political goals while in office, largely because I haven't seen any goals that he has achieved.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree you can't compare someone's lifetime of accomplishment to a career that is only getting started, but that wasn't the point. The point was it is not unrealistic to think someone like Obama can change the world with his words. Furthermore, he has a good start on it.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Perhaps we should compare him to another USA president who was elected with the only 2 years experience in the national senate and 6-8 years in state, like obama, Abraham Lincoln was inexperienced.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

That's another ridiculous comparison, for all the same reasons. You people really are over the moon, aren't you?

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Why is it ridiculous to compare two people with similarities?

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Known of us believe obama is that great, but he slightly better then the competition. Few thought Abraham Lincoln was that great either during the1860 primaries, they just figured he was the most moderate on slavery, a good speaker and he could get the north vote, oh and he said there would never be a civil war.

23. countezero Registered Senior Member

If Obama turns out to be another Lincoln, no one will cheer more loudly than me. In the meantime, forgive me if I am skeptical of a smooth talks with little or no significant political achievement — or any sort of overt patriotic achievement — on his resume.