Internal Reward System

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wesmorris, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Are we basically complicated dogs in that we reward ourselves in some customized mental way to re-enforce how we think we've behaved or what we've thought?

I guess there's internal and external reward systems, but I'd think the internal (though perhaps in reaction to percieved circumstance which may or may not reflect "reality").

Can the "reward system" in the individual mind be manipulated? I'd think so.

If so, how specific?

Does there exist a "reward system" that maximizes 'societal return?

If so, could most or all minds be manipulated to adopt this reward system? If they could be, should they be? On what authority? If we lack the authority, should we do it anyway? If we don't, are we wusses? I doubt there could be 100% acceptance of what constitutes "societal return" anyway. Could an objective standard of such return exist? If so, who knows it to be objective and can promise absolutely that it lacks lies, denial or stupidity?

Bah.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Wow, you're feisty and coming in with a full tray today.

I have to say that reward system that maximizes societal return made me feel ooky and reminded me of Skinner.

But I will try to come back with something less judgemental and more constructive. Give me a bit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Oh don't get me wrong, the idea of it disgusts me on most levels, but the question is still valid and relevant I think.

First to clear the air: Is it "the internal reward system" that shapes behavior? I'd argue yes, and even perhaps "absolutely".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Want a book that shapes our reward system for what I believe is optimal societal returns? Read the Dalai Lamas book on compassion: ethics for the new millennium.

I don't think there's anything farfetched about a human reward system. It's what makes us tick. What you're calling for is a revolution in ethics, one to better support a global tribe.

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Actually I'm really more wondering if such a thing is possible, rather than calling for it. I'm not sure it is. In fact I greatly doubt it.

Grr, I mean first, does or could it exist? If so, what would it be and how would we know it to be correct? Lastly, even if it were known and could somehow be validated as correct (which I can't as possible really), could it be ethically implemented? Again, I really, really doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Whether we have a reward system built in or not is not a philosophical question but a psychological (psychiatric?) one. So I'll let that be.

If it is possible to manipulate (yes, it is possible for those who know how), then should we.... If there is a purpose we deem legitimate, then yes. On what authority? If authority isn't there, then manipulation is not possible; if it is there, then it is possible. As for lacking of lies, denial, and stupidity -- these are sometimes necessary for successful manipulation.

Actions should be initiated by necessity. If we avoid doing what needs to be done, it's like avoiding the toilet when we need to use it and looking ridiculous in the end.

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I think it does exist on some level, but my advice is: don't count on it when you need it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That feeling of internal reward is like feeling of guilt: both get mowed down by other interests and a load of rationalisations.

11. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I think my problem with it is that the conscious mind is tempted to take over the running of everything and I do not believe it is capable of this. I am not disputing the 'truth' behind it, but once it gets put into some sort of 'how can we run society' I think it is time to get off the grid and run for the hills-probably been that time for a century at least.

I expect we will see some of these kinds of problems in the coming decades forays into improving nature and our genetic structures.