Meet: the Quantum Computer

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Mr.Spock, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Last time i checked, they'd got it to count to 4, yes?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

A few years ago, there was a big fuss about a quantum computer finding 3 & 5 as prime factors of 15.

It is strange that I have yet to see a description of the programming or control methods used to get a quantum computer to do its thing.

I wonder if I would understand a description of the methodolgy.

I have read about 1000 qubits simultaneously encoding 2[sup]1000[/sup] different states due to superimposition. I have yet to see a description of how one gets the 1000 qubits to provide the descrioption of the solution to some difficult problem.

If not for some very knowledgeable people making claims for the future of quantum computing, I would dismiss it as crack pottery and not read any articles on the subject.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Barry Flannery Registered Member

I believe a recent NewScientist had a supplement regarding quantum computing and it was very interesting and comprehensive to an individual with no background in the subject.

Barry

8. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

9. Elterish Guest

I remember back in the 1980s reading some early papers on the theory of quantum computing by David Deutsch of Oxford University.
    He seemed to be a supporter of the 'Many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Apparently the computers computations (in theory) were being performed (in parallel) in alternative universes.

I look forward to the day that I have such computing power on my desk, in my watch, etc.

Fuzzy logic was a subject I used to teach as part of an AI course at the Open University. I wasn't aware that it was involved in quantum computing.

10. florieB Registered Member

It was a comprehensive thing to see the quantum computer. That was cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.