Can Our Universe Be Inside a Black Hole?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by TruthSeeker, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Considering all the physics and math that we know today, would that be possible?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes. Totally.

There is a theory which states that according to these very laws and existence, the universe actually fits all the observational evidence that we are inside a black hole itself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

But there are balckholes inside our galaxy and may be each galaxy has a giant blackhole in the middle...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes. This is the strange predictions of relativity... black holes inside black holes... very possible.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

There IS a horizon for the universe, I think. That is, if we send a light signal towards the horizon, it will never get there, if the universe keeps expanding.

But other than that, I think there's no way to know, because ``outside the universe'' is not well-defined.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

Or not defined at all by relativity.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I wish we would all honor the definition of the word "universe" as "everything there is." Even the brilliant Stephen Hawking creates new-agey confusion by talking about "multiple universes." If what we observe is not all there is, then we were simply wrong about it being the universe in the first place. It's just part of the universe. He may be a brilliant physicist but he's a crappy linguist.

"Outside the universe" is not simply "not well-defined." It is an oxymoron, like "below absolute zero."

11. Reiku Banned Banned

I agree completely.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

And it is hard also to even say the universe has a horizon, because that would suggest a border. What is the border between?

I know i said it is possible that this universe is a black hole, but i doubt it. I don't even entertain the multiple universe scenario.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, because ordinary matter cannot exist in such a place.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

Spider

That's not true. If you saw a model of a black holes interior, you would find four interior boundaries. Without going into this with great detail, passing the second boundary gives you a spacetime vacuum that moves in the right direction. It is here matter and energy could be identical to the energy and matter we see around us.

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Almost all of this post is wrong.

1.) We cannot know what is inside a black hole. Period.
    2.) What boundaries? Are you talking about a Penrose diagram?

16. Reiku Banned Banned

No. They are based on Kruskal's designs (I think.) And it isn't wrong. I refer you to Dr. Wolfs book, ''Parallel Universes.''

But as i have wrote in the past (the latter is only really important here):

''Now i begin to pass the event horizon (remember that is the first boundary, or surface). Now something quite remarkable happens. The space coordinates switches roles with the time coordinate. What does this mean? Well, we move through space freely, back and forth without any problems, and when we consider time, that imaginary dimension, we tend to think we sweep along with it without recourse. Once i pass the event horizon space begins to drag me and my ship, and i begin to move in one direction only - that being forward - however, i begin to move through time backwards and forwards, just as easily as i had moved through the space dimension. In this case, we say that space has become 'timelike', and time has a 'spacelike' character - they are thus interchangeable given the correct conditions.

... moving on...

If our universe is indeed a black hole, you might imagine we exist in the inner horizon. In fact, our universe may as well be a black hole. Now, if one passes by the singularity, we might be able to move out of the inner horizon and pass through a second inner horizon, and then by finally passing another outer horizon, we will have entered another universe - but i had better be careful. There is a very good chance that this universe is made up mostly of antimatter. If i come into contact with antimatter, me and my ship will explode in a flash of light.''

And Ben... it's a true flaw to simply go about saying something is wrong. You cannot know everything about physics. Just because you haven't heard of it or read anything about it, hardly makes it wrog, or even gives you the absolute right to spurt off that something is certainly wrong.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

One of the inner horizons have a spacetime that runs in the correct manner.

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I still have no clue what you're talking about.

Can someone else clarify what you mean?

Can you refer to someone OTHER than Dr. Wolf?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And the crushing gravity? Would that have any effect on the nature of chemical reactions within the phenomenon?

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Well, we have to remember Spider that this inner-horizon is somewhat ''normal''. As for gravity, that would include high density. There is math suggesting that an observer (from the inside of a black hole) would observe the density of spacetime to appear not very dense. This is universe doesn't appear very dense at all.

Ben... not at the moment. Why? Can you not just accept it... Do you think things like this are just imagined up?

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Actually there is a name for that - multiverse.
    As introduced by British Astronomer Royal Sir Martin Rees.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There is that possibility. It's always good to refer to more than one source, if possible.
    All you've done here is basically quoting and misquoting popular science books by Dr.Wolf.

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well...yes.