Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by blobrana, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is an update to Windows Vista that addresses key feedback from our customers. SP1 addresses specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware, and adds support for several emerging standards.

Read more

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Those of you who have Vista already can get this through Windows Update. It'll be a smaller download too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

This is strange on my computer which is home premium I go to update and sp1 is there. But on the g/f's vista ultimate it isn't. Why is this, anyone know?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It's not there for me either.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

You can download the PDF that tells you all about the new additions and changes to the OS via SP1. in short:

What this basically means is that perhaps those that haven't seen any available updates for SP1 it's probably due to downloading those Updates individually or Ultimate perhaps has a higher update support level in comparison to lesser Vista versions (Namely Ultimate is the Top end version of the software so would suggest a higher level of support. From a business angle it would actually make sense to "Phase" service packs in on the OS's that don't receive the same support level first.).

Notably my Ultimate version doesn't show SP1 either, otherwise it might be down to what version (32/64-bit) is being run. In any case it will eventually find its way onto updates.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Nevermind what I said earlier, it showed up today. It took a while to install. I'll see how it works out.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Cool...I'm downloading right now. I might have to walk up to the library and use their hotspot to download, It's take going forever on my dial-up at home.

11. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Finished Installing Windows Vista SP1 ?
    Now Remove All The Junk Files....

Read more

I wont bother telling you about the SP1 install horror stories I've been hearing.
    (eg, If you have unsigned third party drivers, don't install SP1)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Umm her one has still not turned up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyone know why?

13. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Has she installed the English, French, German, Japanese or Spanish language packs?

And remember SP1 may render some connected devices useless; hehe, the upgrade it actually degrades the Ultimate version...(for security reasons some programs and operations are degraded or made non-functional).

14. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

As far as I know it should only be English.

15. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I do, and I was a little nervous about installing it just yet, but it seemed to work out fine for me.

One thing I notice, though, is it takes a little bit longer for Windows to load up (not a whole lot longer, but it's noticeable). It also takes a little bit longer to shut down. Last night it hung at the "logging off" screen, and I had to switch it off manually. That could just be because it was my first shutdown after it was fully installed (i.e. after it made me restart several times during installation). I really hope that's the case.

Also, I would probably recommend to anyone to hold off on running that cleaner utility until you are absolutely certain you don't have any compatibility or performance issues that were introduced by the service pack.

I'm sure it will work its way into there soon. This makes me wonder what their method of detecting updates is.

16. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Rubiks I was wondering how some can get updates and other not. I on the same connection as the g/f but my comp which is home prem has the update. However, I have found this

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5

So it is detecting which computers might have a problem with and not offering them the update, I think. But it doesn't tell you that that is what is happening it just doesn't even list SP1. Weird

17. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, that's what my original thought was, but I figured the update tool wasn't that intelligent. Also I wonder why mine showed up a few days late. I didn't change or update any drivers since then.

18. blobrana Registered Senior Member

OK...

Try this link.

"We will release SP1 to Windows Update and the download centre on microsoft.com in mid-March."

"In mid-April, we will begin delivering Windows Vista SP1 to Windows Vista customers using Automatic Update."

"Windows Update will *not* automatically download SP1 to any system it determines has a driver known to not update successfully. "

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w.../03/language-packs-and-windows-vista-sp1.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.