Obama's Pastors statements

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shichimenshyo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

This is a quote from Barack Obama's Pastor as reported by Abc news. There is also some controversy over his "Hillary has never been called a nigger" Statement.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4452990&page=1

Wright is a key person of influence in Obamas life and has been his pastor for 20 years, what do you think about these statements and what do you think it will mean for Obama's campaign?

Discuss...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

Jeremiah Wright is completely accurate in his statements. America has been screwing over blacks for decades now. Obama, of course, whether he agrees with the man or not, has to say that he disagrees with him to keep his campaign alive.

Anyway, as Ice Cube would say: "They give us guns and drugs, then wonder why in the fuck we're thugs!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think he's speaking from a perspective most white Americans are unfamiliar with. Should Obama ignore the voice of black America? He doesn't have to agree with all of it. For my part, I sympathize with his sentiments, particularly as a reaction to the insipid and arrogant phrase, "God Bless America".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Exactly, but I was listening to the radio today and they were trying to paint Wrights opinions as Obamas, and even went as far as to imply that ombama was basically there agreeing with him. I for one think that the statement has alot of truth in it, its just something that cannot be said in a political realm.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I wonder why the endorsement of McCain by the lunatic John Hagee doesn't get the same scrunity.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In a general campaign against McCain, Obama has a counter - McCain's "spiritual advisors" and Pastoral guests on podiums have said a bunch of stuff right in front of him and with his approval and very recently that sounds a good deal worse.

Rod Parsley, say. (A novelist would have to make up different names for these guys).

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Yes....Perhaps it has something to do with his part affiliation:scratchin:

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I don't think "God damn America" would make good yard signs.Though these days, I may be suprised.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

God Damn America 08!

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This guy has been described as Obama's mentor. He has attended this church for twenty years. The statement in the OP is just the tip of the iceburg. There are plenty of other anti-American statements this guy is on record of making:
    Obama has sat thru 20 years of this type of crap and still considers this guy his spiritual leader. If his religion means anything to him, he must agree with a good portion of what his lunatic minister says.

Were my minister to spout anti-American crap like that I'd switch churches, as would 99% of the congregation.

PS Your description of saying, "God bless America" as insipid and arrogant is offensive and the height of arrogance. Anyone who believes in God would want his blessing upon their nation. The fact that you're an atheist gives you no right to belittle the beliefs of those who are not. It most especially does not in the context of calling them arrogant. What is more arrogant than hurling insults at someone for having beliefs different from your own?

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Worse than what Obama's minister said? I doubt it. How about some quotes. I really doubt anything McCain's minister said could rival Obama's minister seeking divine retribution against the United States. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer a candidate who doesn't want the rath of God to fall upon my country. We may as well vote for Ahmadinejihad.

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

:bugeye:

I think that Obama would do well to distance himself from Wright, but i dont think that it reflects on his opinions, and you can assume it does, but thats all it is an assumtion either way, and I tend to believe that listening to someone say something doesnt mean you agree with what they say.

16. otheadp Banned Banned

I'm sitting there, looking at Hillary and Osama douchebagging each other while McCain collects the dividends

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's called freedom of speech, perhaps you don't understand what that means?:shrug:

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Wow, you see the thing is that what you say can have an effect on what other people think about you thats called consequences maybe you dont know what that means :shrug:

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The pastor knew what he was saying BUT Obama didn't know what the pastor was going to say. Do you then think that he is guilty of something by association only? Just because someone thinks one way doesn't mean that everyone totally agrees with them and won't be going along with their statements but respect their rights to their own point of view.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well I find it offensive. As if God will bless you to the detriment of another nations, as if God cannot bless all nations and has to conserve his blessings, as if we seek the endorsement of our petty warfare from the creator of everything. As if a bumper sticker constitutes a proper reverence for the devine. Why not, "God forgive us for what we are about to do"? I have every right to belittle anything I think is stupid.

John Hagee has said essentially the same thing, that New Orleans was damned for daring to allow an especially sexy gay pride parade. At least Obama's pastor made some sense. I don't agree with everything he said, but one should not assume that Obama does either.

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Maybe you should read my posts better?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But they are the ones getting the publicity. Even bad media coverage can be good for them. They are the center of attention, not McCain.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

:truce::scratchin: