30 years on how much has changed?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Asguard, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

(this will probably end up in ethics but it should start here anyway)

Today is the 30th anniversary of the gay and lesbian Mardi Gras so lets see whats changed

30 years ago the Mardi Gras was a protest march against the laws criminalizing gays and lesbians and there was a mass arrest at the end

Today the march is about pride rather than protest and is seen as a massive tourist venture for Sydney. Its one of the worlds biggest gay pride marches.

Also for the first time today members of the Australian defence force were allowed to openly march in a reversal of 30 years of policy.

Lastly for the first time today a group of clergy were marching as an apology for how the Christan churches had treated the gay and lesbian community

When combined with the apology for the aboriginal people it seems that the change of government has brought in a whole new era for Australia

:bravo::yay::cheers:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

can gay people get married in Australia?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orealnder did you read the artical?

oviously not because it delt with that and no they cant unfortuantly. There are also 50 federal laws (realating to tax, superanuation and social securities) that still discriminate against homosexuals

However its a start (especially as Rudd has promised to deal with those laws)

Its funny one of those laws actually means that a homosexual couple gets MORE unemployment benifits because centerlink doesnt concider a homosexual relationship to be a defacto relationship so they pay 2 indervidual rates rather than 2 defacto rates

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I read it. I also read that part. I just didn't take it as it being illegal. Maybe churches won't marry them, but judges can. I was wondering if it was illegal still.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no its not unfortantly. our former PM passed a defence of marrage act which prevents it and has blocked the ACT from passing legislation legalising it. Although Rudd wont have the courage to go this far he may alow civil unions from the ACT to pass now that he is PM. Its wrong but at least its a step in the right direction. I dont however know what effect this would have on family law (hopefull the courts will take them to be the same)

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

There should be 50 more federal laws, this is disgusting. Freedom is one thing, immorality is another.

For how long in history have gays been hated? Forever, and with good reason. There is no reason to let them "open up" right now, lest we encourage drug dealers and morons next. Besides, pride? :roflmao: what have they done to deserve "pride" wow! haha!

Whatever happened to respectability in society, conservation of our ideals? I guarantee you, you keep giving them these freedoms and they'll be all over.

I just don't understand that point of view. How is it exactly a good thing, Asguard, that such things happened unless you are gay yourself? I am not saying that you are, just relatively speaking.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

we have moved beyond the stone age

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Our bodies have not

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

that would be non of your buiness, they do however deserve the same rights YOU have. More so because where you are predugest against THEM, they dont give a fuck about YOU. So they need to be protected from your moronic bigiotry

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And into the stoned age!

:m:

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

OK, then let's legalize prostitution! Oh, and drugs! And all that bullshit......

Morality needs to be maintained. They need to be protected against nobody but themselves. They go against classical conservative society and mentality, and are instead in favor of a morally bankrupt, stupid society.

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Sounds like great ideas to me! :thumbsup:

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

To you, perhaps.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

most gays are very moral and smart at least the ones i have met are

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

You're one to talk. Is racism moral?

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Absolutely not.

pjdude, you do bring up a good point. But look at the basic gay person: they are liberal hippies, morons, don't give a care in the world, act like women (and yes, I mean literally like women), and are simply disgusting in manner and disrespectful. Also, I believe gays have a higher AIDS ratio

Ever heard of Chris Chrocker? Perfect example.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why not?

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

We are all Humans. Besides, why did you bring it up? I don't recall being racist.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Those are jokes, remember that. The thread is entitled "the most offensive jokes" and therefore, as you know, such material is acceptable. I'm sure somebody has ridiculed Arabs/Semites and yet you wont' see my crying "racism!"