Islam: A Revolution Within

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Feb 28, 2008.

?

This is ...

1. ... good news.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. ... merely news.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ... bad news.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Other (???)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: BBC News
    Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7264903.stm
    Title: "Turkey in radical revision of Islamic texts", by Robert Pigott
    Date: February 26, 2008

The news comes as a nearly ineffable surprise. I have a feeling, though, that had I been paying attention, it wouldn't have struck me so suddenly; I would have seen it coming, heard the whispers, read the signs.

There is about to be a tremendous upheaval in Islamic society. The entire world will feel the tremors.

Officials in Turkey have stayed somewhat quiet about the project for the controversy they expect this undertaking to incite. Project adviser Felix Koerner told the BBC that some of the sayings can be shown to have been invented well after the prophet's death, with contemporary sociopolitical ambitions in mind.

In addition, scholars are attempting to understand the context of various sayings, which will lead to a reinterpretation of ahadith believed genuinely spoken by the Prophet:

Some of us might suggest that Islam is finally attempting to enter the twenty-first century, and there is merit to the suggestion. But we should on the one hand wait to see what the scholars come up with. And in this age of wars and rumors of wars, it would serve all humanity well that we in the post-Christian West should lend our support and encouragement. Broad issues of social justice wait in hopes of their time in the sun, when we might for once actually help our Muslim neighbors in their struggles with their own humanity, instead of push them away, condemn and threaten.

Peace at last? We cannot expect this soon. But it seems in Turkey they are about to attempt a mighty leap of faith. May their courage find good fortune, and their children a brighter day.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It's about damn time some Muslims step up to get their shit together.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kadark Banned Banned

The best practitioners of Islam today live in Turkey. What a fabulous country, to balance religion and modernization so eloquently!

Congratulations to Turkey for tackling this issue. Phantom hadiths definitely need to be dumped.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I dont see how this would be a bad thing at all.

congrats to turkey.

8. Kadark Banned Banned

It's bad to countries like Saudi Arabia, as people will see even clearer now how utterly absurd their laws are. For the rest of us, though, it's great news.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Exactly, but the more people see how absurd their laws are the more pressure and influence will be directed towards them to change.

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's been pointed out that the history of Islam has tracked eerily close to the history of Christianity, with a 600-year offset. That means Islam is poised to enter its Reformation. The Christian Reformation worked out pretty well--from our perspective, half a millennium later. At the time it was pretty violent.

You can't turn a major religion upside down and shake it, without expecting a whole lot of its more traditional followers to use any means available to try to stop you.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Considering that the Turkish "moderate" Muslims use evangelical Christians as their role models of radical religion, I would say, Be careful what you wish for.

13. Kadark Banned Banned

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Turkish Muslims exemplify to the highest degree what Islam is all about. Turkish Muslims sustained an open-minded, progressive Empire which lasted 630 years and excluded all medieval forms of Christian dogma. Turkey is the most modern Muslim country on the face of the planet, balancing religion and appropriate secularism in perfect harmony. Your post resembles exactly that of a jealous Indian Muslim, a person who's so ashamed of her own country's system and policy towards Islam that she feels the need to chastize Turkey for being modern and progressive. Don't even get me started on this.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If Harun Yahya is an example of the modern Turkish Muslim, I sincerely hope that is not the highest degree that Islam can aspire to.

15. Kadark Banned Banned

Harun Yahya is ONE Turk out of 75 MILLION.

What the hell do you think? He's not a prophet. He only represents himself.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Didn't he just say, don't get him started?

:itold:

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Could you give me some examples of the typical modern Turk? What is the modern Islamic movement in Turkey?

Statements like this can only engender disbelief in me:

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He ought to make up his mind. Last week he denounced the reformist movements of the Ottomans as bida.

This week he's extolling their empire

19. Kadark Banned Banned

Visit Turkey and see for yourself. Nobody represents the Turksih public. Everybody is a unique individual. As a whole, we represent the greatest balance between religion and secularism; tradition and modernization.

So what? Adnan Oktar is a university dropout and a preacher at best.

Turkish scientists confront creationists' theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/europe/turkish-scientists-confront-creationists-theory-457164.html

If only you looked hard enough. There are TONS of people who oppose the creationist theory.

20. Kadark Banned Banned

What do you mean I denounced the reformist movements as a bad idea? Please elaborate.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I distinctly recall you supporting Adnan Okhtar as the cats pajamas.

22. Kadark Banned Banned

Depends what book I'm read of his.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1760138&postcount=12

Just shoot me. :crazy:

Again, what is this "movement" in Turkey that is so progressive?