What if it all turned out to be real?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by orcot, Feb 27, 2008.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

Say for instance for no particulair reason the one and true god desends on earth to prance about. What are the changes people would believe him?
    Meaning what should he/she/it have to do/look like to convince the majority that he is indeed the true god?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

he should look like us and do what we do and act like we do

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Otherwise, he could get mistaken for a terrorist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

classifications are not forever.

8. marnixR in hibernation - don't disturb Registered Senior Member

or a nutter

9. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

the form of god.

supreme control of the surrounding environment, invincibility, the ability to create anything including new life. all that without the use of technology and I would be apt to belive.

10. draqon Banned Banned

in time we will do that

11. orcot Valued Senior Member

If you put it like that then anyone could say it? And you wouldn't believe him.
    Honnestly what would it take to convince you.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

The supreme deity can not carry a wrist watch?

13. draqon Banned Banned

I dont need convincing. We are our own Gods. We limited our own power for a reason unknown to me, we are many Gods and one.

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

Last month I had my exam on the inner working of banks. The first quistion was: "What exatly does a bank do".
    The quistion on how would you reckognise your god. Doesn't seem to be such a unreasenable quistion.

15. Nesm Registered Senior Member

Whatever it does could just be assumed illusion. Any great tech and they're assumed an advanced civilization. I can't conceive of anything something could do to convince me they're the one true god. Being god though, it could probably do something I cannot conceive of to make a strong argument in its favor.

16. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

How flattering.

:itold:

17. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

of course he/she/it could carry a wrist watch, don't be obtuse.

Your question was what would he/she need to do to convince the majority [ or at least me ] that he/she is indeed the true god? to carry a wrist watch is not ''GODLY'' so should not even be brought up.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It would be up to him, wouldn't it? He would know best how to convince us.

19. pharaohmoan The illusion is you, let go. Registered Senior Member

Perform a miracle perhaps (see my other thread)

20. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Hmmmmm?????

Interest topic!

I am very flattered!!!

21. Nesm Registered Senior Member

If we went back in time, there'd be some people who'd consider instantaneous fire from a square transparent object a miracle. Doesn't make me a god, just misinterpreted. I'd like to think that a miracle would make my jaw drop; not make my body drop to its knees in worship.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed. It's a classic warning to the gullible: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Stage magicians can cut people in half and do all kinds of convincing stuff that stands up to the audience's scrutiny. James Randi, a professional magician, was a mainstay of CSICOP. He performed many of the tricks of faith healers, mediums, etc., for our meetings. He showed us how some of them are done and it's a combination of being a really good con man, having some really cool gadgets, and depending on the audience not to be science experts. (Walking on hot coals, for example, is easy so long as they're the right kind of wood.)
    Considering that David Copperfield makes buildings disappear, it would have to be quite a trick.

Did you all see the "Ardra" episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation"? She convinced the people on a planet beleaguered by war that she was their god by using transporter technology, etc. She told them that if they would stop fighting and learn to work together, she would make them prosper, but if not they were doomed. Of course they stopped fighting and of course their civilization advanced. She came back several hundred years later to collect her fee, without even having done anything for them--except of course scaring them into ending their war!

It was an interesting dilemma. This is of course what the best and most honorable astrologers, fortunetellers, etc., do. They make you comfortable and speak to you in terms you accept as reasonable, and then they simply help you solve your own problems. A shrink I know said the best psychotherapist he ever met was an astrologer.

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

An alien or alien technology would be the leading theory ahead of being a 'god'.