Global Cooling Is Here!

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by madanthonywayne, Feb 27, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I recently started a thread predicting that decreased solar activity would soon cause decreased temperatures across the globe.
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=77459
    Many people asked:
    Well, apparently, it's here. Recent data shows that the entire increase in average global temperature over the past century has been wiped out in one year!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature Monitors Report Worldwide Global Cooling/article10866.htm
    So there you go. All the horrible damage inflicted by CO2 output wiped out in one year. ONE YEAR! I seem to recall someone saying that the increase in average global temperature of about 1 degree over one hundred years was unheard of. But we now have almost the same change in just a year.

If this trend holds (let's pray it doesn't, because a new ice age would be a real problem, as opposed the the bullshit global warming hysteria), will environmentalists be begging us to drive big SUV's to help increase the temperature and forstall an iceage? Will we begin bragging about our giant carbon footprints?

I doubt it. The point always was that the global temperature is BEYOND OUR CONTROL!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dryzalaxean Registered Member

well if the earth increases by 6deg. F ... the earth will no longer be fit to suport human life :'(

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Andre Registered Senior Member

let's add this

But don't expect that drivings will help. The whole point is that the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere has very little effect on climate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The past 4 winters here in Key West have been the hottest on record, so send in the coolness please!!

8. Andre Registered Senior Member

Sorry but Greece, Turkey and Israel stole our snow.

9. marnixR in hibernation - don't disturb Registered Senior Member

what does snow look like ?

10. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Maw! You rock.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

12. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

wow i was always told by many global warming causes global cooling,its like the earth is trying to rid its own problem by going through changes

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Whew!
    I'm glad that whole Global Warming thing is over!

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

One year is obviously worthless for refuting a global trend.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Time to buy that Hummer and coal-fired stove!

16. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Well, so is fifty if the earth has been here for billions of years.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, fifty years of data is more compelling.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You can't actually believe what you are saying, can you?
    Please tell me you are joking or just grasping at straws and not making such a ridiculously absurd statement with any bit of seriousness and honesty.

While fifty years of data has very little effect on the billions of years of history the earth has been around, it very well could indicate a trend that will last for thousands of years.
    Again, thousands of years is still a drop in the bucket when considering the age of the planet, the entire human population could be wiped out in a trend that only lasts a few hundred.

What could the age of the earth possibly have anything to do with global weather patterns and trends?

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The fact that in the past year we've seen the largest temperature change over a one year period ever recorded does seem significant. Furthermore. lets measure the temperature over the past hundred years and end on this year. it will show no increase.

Part of the point is that one degree isn't that big of a deal. I've always felt that a one degree change over 100 years was the temperature pretty much staying the same. As we've just seen, an entire century's worth of warming can be wiped out in one year.

The temperature goes up, it comes down. My Suburban has no effect on that either way. This temperature change was predicted by the decrease in solar activity. Is there anything that explains it (much less predicted it) in terms of changes in CO2 levels?

20. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Raven, do you think humans caused this cooling? If it continues should we try to stop it?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

99% of all climate scientists would disagree with you. What caused our climate to be as it is now, relatively cool with massive ice caps? It was the plants sequestering carbon in their structures and being buried away in the Earth's crust. Now we are freeing all that carbon into the atmosphere again, so we can expect a return to conditions much less tolerable to modern life forms. 1 degree is a huge trend, already this has led to acidification of the oceans, the deaths of ancient coral reefs, invasive species. You have to stop listening to the industries that profit from the status quo, they are killing us.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think it doesn't matter who caused it.
    I think that we certainly contribute to it.
    I also don't think that it is a matter of stopping it - rather a matter of acknowledging that we contribute to it, and looking at the situation outside the political spectrum.

I think that the Global Wariming issue becoming a political one is the worst thing that could have happened, because it has ended up serving as a red herring.

"See, look! Global Warming is false, therefore we do not need to cut emissions or pollution."

This is why I refrain from debating the issue any more. It is moot at best and detrimental at worst.

When, in reality, the pollution causes great devistation, loss of life, loss of habitat, grossly reduced quality of life and many other problems that have nothing at all to do with Global Warming.
    I think people should shut the fuck up about Global Warming on both sides and deal with the actual situation at hand - we are poisoning ourselves, other animals and the environment and it is out of control.

Drop the red herring of proof of the existence or non existence of Global Warming and make drastic changes to how we manufacture and do business or we will all pay the price - regardless of Global Warming.

Being human we have the unique ability to intentionally drastically alter our environment on a rapid and wide scale.
    It's about fucking time we took that great responsibility seriously and with a grain of humility, as opposed to the arrogance we have been wielding it with since the Industrial Evolution.

I think it's about time we started acting as custodians of this planet rather than parasites.

What do YOU think?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

We have to repeat ourselves again: nobody has ever claimed that the solar cycles and other drivers of past fluctuations have stopped or will have no effect. Everyone, even Al Gore, predicts the yearly temperatures will go up and down, CO2 or no CO2.

That's one I can check immediately: it's false.

Just the opposite report, actually: this year the temp records in Minnesota were extended backwards further into the 1800s, which added a lot of cold records and no warm ones. Despite the cooling solar cycles, winters in Minnesota (including this one) are warmer now than they were then.

We've had a slightly colder winter this year than the thirty year average - (note the recent warming is factored into that average).
    One of the major predictions of the Global Warming alarmists was larger and faster temperature swings over continent-sized areas, and dramatic large scale weather events powered by the extra heat energy trapped in the lower atmosphere and surface waters etc.

Even dramatic and disproportionate cooling is predicted, in some places - such as from extra snow in cold, dry regions (from the extra water vapor of increased evaporation), increased snow cover and consequent colder winter days.