Binge Drinking!!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Feb 26, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

There is a fair bit on the tele, radio, the last few days about binge drinking, they seem to think that if they raise the price of drink, binge drinking will de crease, now personally i can't see why, because trust me if some one wants to go out one night a week (say saturday) and get totally hammered nothing will stop them.

True it might stop some of the younger teenagers drinking but i don't think it will have much effect on older people!

your thoughts!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I agree to some exstent

There are however other ways like enforcing laws about intoxication on licenced premis
    limiting how much can be bought at one time in liquor stores in order to make it take more effort to get

ect

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

then thats not fair, adults who are over 18yrs are old enough to drink, and frankly can drink themselves stupid because they are allowed to, limiting what they buy isn't right!

first of all i think we can do away with 24hr drinking! and we do have laws that say! no one who is already under the inluenze is permitted to buy more drink!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Depends on what your aim is

If your aim is to reduce binge drinking then it IS mostly adults and there for under the health policy you have to implement policy that will reduce it

Nither of those would actually STOP people buying achole they would just make buying large quanities illegal (and as for the first the laws are there now on the responcable service of achole, they just need to be enforced)

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a way for the business owners to make even more profits!

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not when the money goes into tax revinue its not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Oh, the way I read the statement was that "they" meaning the liqueur businesses not the government, sorry.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Isn't saying you're gonna stop a person from binge drinking like saying you're gonna stop someone from chain smoking?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Orleander thats the whole point

Heeps of money has been funneled through the cancer councial for this exact purpose. Of course i found quit line to be usless (im STILL waiting for the infomation they were going to send me)

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

It could easily have the opposite of the desired effect whereby people can no longer afford to regularly go drinking(moderately), and so they just save up to go get hammered once a week.:shrug:

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

People might start meeting in each other's homes and drinking beverages that were bought in advance. That would save them a fortune anyway.

It depends on the local culture. I knew some people who moved to San Francisco and just loved their home, decorated it up fabulously and got ready to entertain. Absolutely no one would ever come over! They insisted on meeting each other in bars!

Back in Los Angeles, at least many years ago, we had a more suburban culture. We often got together in people's houses. It was very rare that we went to bars, unless there was a good band and we felt like dancing.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

FR that would take one issue out of the equasion and thats drink driving.

There are ways to make it more difficult to get large quanities of achole without increasing expence or impinging on responcable consuption of achole

This maybe an irratent to people who are people buying for large parties but that could be a good thing anyway, look at the dickhead here who ended up starting a riot with police because he had an open ended party

16. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Assuming you mean the quit smoking helpline then it is useless. I called and they sent me a 2 page brochure with some ideas on how to quit. My private health fund wouldn't subsidize any quit smoking program which didn't make much sense to me. However i've been off the ciggies for almost 6 months thanks to zyban...

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i never even got that stuff, "yea we will send you some stuff" 2 years later im still waiting

Congratulations on quiting BTW

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I decided to get everything else fixed before i try again, not much point INCREASING my stress level while being treated for anxiaty

18. Roman Banned Banned

Why should the government get to decide how much I should drink? That's a serious infringement on personal liberty.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's absurdly easy and cheap to cut drunk driving almost to zero. Require every car to have a breathalyzer interlock on the ignition. The reason NOBODY wants to clamp down on drunk driving is that EVERYBODY remembers the time(s) they did it. A breathalyzer would solve that problem by not involving the police.
    Yeah, the same fucking government that is the servant of the corporations. The one that subsidizes tobacco growers, allows caffeine to be pandered to our children, and argues with a straight face that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol and heroin is more addictive than tobacco.

20. Roman Banned Banned

You know, if you really wanted to fix binge drinking, you wouldn't raise the cost of alcohol, you'd just behead anyone who drank the stuff. As long as you're indulging your authoritarian fantasies, you may as well go all out.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It will work as well as prohibition did.
    Cheap, home-made, dangerous alcohol.

When will the idiots learn to address the causes, rather than the symptoms?

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But has the Uk ever had anything like prohibition?

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I don't know.
    If not, I think they should learn from the mistakes of others and learn to consider human nature in their legislation.
    Also, as I said, they should address the causes, not the symptoms.