theorectical solution for increased fresh water in worlds oceans

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Origen, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Origen Registered Member

Now this is merely a speculation I arrived at lying in bed one night that I wanted people's opinions on: Is is possible to derive large portions of our fresh water using desalinization of the ocean water and then recycling the salt derived through the process in different areas in the world's oceans to maintain a stable balance of salt to fresh water so we do not catalyze an even greater deterioration of the already fragile ocean current system.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. matthyaouw Registered Senior Member

Desalinisation is possible, but if I recall it is very costly and energy intensive so generally not favoured in all but the driest of areas. It probably wouldn't be practical to derive most of our fresh water from it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Origen Registered Member

How about since cost effectively you are required to place desalinization plants on the coast could they not be powered by the tidal power generators they are starting to try in the United Kingdom to create the large about of power needed to process the water, with little emmisions of CO2. Just another idea.:shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Desalinisation, as already noted, takes a lot of energy, and then you have the problem on what to do with the salt. You can not just dump it right back, it would kill all ocean life in near proximity, and transporting it would take even more energy and make it even less economically viable.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You just sell the salt for home or industrial purposes. I think the Israelis use desalination plants.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think australians too, and some African countries.

10. Origen Registered Member

You could sell it or you could find areas of low concentrations of salt an dump large quantities of it over large areas to maintain a consistant amount of salt to stabalize current flows and try to slow our downward spiral of destroying diversity and :shrug:quality of life on the planet.

11. Origen Registered Member

You could sell it or you could find areas of low concentrations of salt that are generally high and dump quantities of salt over large areas to maintain a consistant amount to stabalize current flows and try to slow our downward spiral of destroying diversity and quality of life on the planet.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No shit, they live in a desert. Most ME countries do.

However, they are, as was established, very costly and not practical.

Perhaps if we figured out a better way to desalinize the water?

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

We are getting a desal plant powered by wind power i belive. They are pumping the brine a way out into the bay were it is surposedly harmless. Not to sure about that although i have noticed that my marine life can take whatever salt levels they have (as long as its not TO high or low) as long as they have some time to adapt so i doubt that no matter how much extra fresh water there was, i dont think it would really be a problem. On a side note i wish they would sell the salt, i have to buy syntetic salt and it costs nearly $90 a bag

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Origen Registered Member

But if you were to use desalinization plants in the united states could they be powered by the tidal hydroelectric generators they are beginning to test in the U.K. and would that harm marine life or would the taking fresh water form the ocean restabalize the ocean current system.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Origen it depends. Ok my marine life is happy with a specific gravity between aprox 1.015 and 1.030 or there abouts (maybe a little denser but not to much, had some problems when it drifted down towards 1.040)

Now these are reef species so they are pritty much standed conditions as far as i am aware

Something that evolved to live in the dead sea for instance would have a much higher salt tolerance

The point is that even dispersal is important

16. John99 Banned Banned

Perhaps i am not clear on how this would benefit the oceans. Not only that but i assume you know that sea water is not just salt.

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm

I know it is done but as state it is not pracvtical and their is a lot of waste, far as i know it is reverse osmosis method.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes that is how you remove salt, well actually there is another way as i re learned the hard way. Note for anyone who has a marine tank, if your salt level falls relitive to your water level DONT stick you hand in the tank. Electricity is the only other way to lose salt and it hurts when you find you have a leaking cord

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes there are alot of other things in salt water (i can go through the ones i test at least if you want) but i dont understand the question

What is it you want to know?

18. John99 Banned Banned

Asguard, can you clarify what you said about electricity? Did you get the PM i sent you about evaporation? FRESH water evaporates raising salinity, not some electrical problem, and even a still water in a bucket will evaporate, add agitation and it accelerates.

As far as helping the ocean- in what way does this help?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

John im talking about a falling SALT level relitive to fresh water. This has nothing to do with evaporation. Only reverse osmosis or electricity can strip salt OUT of water (you know, sodium goes to the cathode? and cloride collects on the anode? i think thats the right way around but i maybe wrong)

And i have no idea why this would help

20. Origen Registered Member

Actually you could also use freezing or distillation. Granted it is not an overally effective method but can be done. :shrug:

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That does tend to kill the fish you know???????

22. Origen Registered Member

I did not mean in the ocean I meant as a method in a desalination plant?

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

that would take TREMENDIOUS amounts of energy, way more than simply forcing the water through a membrain