Maybe Milk?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by CutsieMarie89, Feb 22, 2008.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

A guy I met the other day said that he refuses to drink milk because he believes that anyone who isn't an infant should not drink milk because it is only made for infants to eat. I love milk and I heard a rumor that people who can drink milk posses a mutated gene that allows them to digest milk and people who are lactose intolerant are not mutated. So if this is true then is this a form of evolution?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aivar A.R. Registered Senior Member

Yes. It has been brought up as a good example of people being subject to evolution.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Anyone at anytime, unless they are lactose intolerant, can drink milk. It is just that you really don't need it that much when you get older they say. Just keep drinking what you like and don't worry unless you become lactose intolerant yourself. They you can drink soy milk.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

if anyone shouldn't drink milk, its babies. Mother's milk or formula, but never cow or goat milk.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

That's true. Because cow milk is made for baby cows not humans. I think formula tastes really gross, but I guess babies don't care.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Drinking milk seems like a strange custom to me. I avoid it, but I do like cheese. I drink soy milk.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like milk, milk is tasty. And yes, humans have evolved the ability to drink milk of other animals fairly recently.

By the way, whale milk supposedly tastes very much like that of a cow.
    Curious thing, noting that cows and whales have one common ancestor.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why do you say that? We've spent a couple of centuries developing the science of chemistry. The differences among the milk of different species of mammals are manageable by adding the occasional vitamin or mineral supplement to it. All milk is a perfect source of balanced amino acids for growth and contains easily digested carbohydrates (for the non-lactose intolerant) for energy.
    Yes. That gene is not common in East Asians.
    Whale milk is one of the richest on earth, with 50% fat. It ought to taste good!
    Yes, DNA has recently revealed that cetaceans are not a separate order of mammals but one of the lines of artiodactyls, even-toed hooved mammals. (Including cows, sheep, pigs, deer, camels, giraffes, antelopes and many other common animals.) Apparently they are descended from primitive hippopotamuses who followed the river all the way to the sea and kept going.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

And babies can't tolerate it. Give them cows milk and they'll be barfing all over you. Its why they make formula.

14. kmguru Staff Member

I love Milk. We buy Organic Milk that seems to taste better than Wal-Mart brand.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Does that mean it doesn't have Vitamin D added and isn't pasteurized?

16. kmguru Staff Member

Americans severely lack Vitamin D which is the cause of a lot of problems. The pasteurization process loses some enzymes and bacterias including probiotics. However the Milk is free from bad bacterias, virus, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, roundup, herbicides etc. I just take Activa for my Probiotics.

17. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I love milk. Not sure why anyone would get hung up about drinking the milk of another species... but not killing the same species and eating it's roasted flesh... Hm, though I suppose it is almost as bad for most cows that produce milk as those that are slaughtered, from what I understand.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Milk has both whey and casein proteins. If you went to some place selling athletic supplements they'd sell whey, and casein in particular, in a pure form, for a fortune. Many of the brands are low quality as well.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

depends on the species. I think people could drink the milk of a species they eat, but not one they don't eat. I mean, who drinks dog milk?

19. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

It's not practical (which cow's milk is in the extreme), but I'd have no problem with it..

20. kmguru Staff Member

Perhaps Koreans...since they eat dogs...

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so did Native Americans, but I don't think they milked them.

22. kmguru Staff Member

It is too little to milk. A cow is better. Buffalo would work too. Indians (the Asian kind) drink Buffalo milk too, it is richer meaning higher butter fat content.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Goat and sheep milk is commonly drunk. And camel. Anyone drink horse milk ?

According to some acquaintances and anecdotes, white people who react badly to milk should consider the possibility of a gluten allergy (but not brown, red, or black people, unless their genetic relatives have been driniking milk without trouble for a while).