How many Christians actually live it (like Jesus, Paul, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by NDS, Feb 22, 2008.

?

How many "Christians" actually live it (like Jesus, Paul, etc.)?

1. 0%-25%

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 25%-50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 50%-75%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 75%-100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

I would guess about 15%. It seems like most people who call themselves Christians don't ever go to church and basically do whatever they want. That's just my opinion based on the people I've seen.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Living under all of the Bibles conditions is hard and inconvient. I think most Christians pick and choose what they want to follow and what they don't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think being a good christian has anything to do with church. Its just a building where you meet and listen to a sermon.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

F____ng retarded Atheists!

Look at the Title.

Live it like Jesus or Paul...

What is that supposed to mean?

Jesus Preached Righteousness. Consult the Sermon of the Mount.

Paul preached abolition of Law and Forgiveness of Sin. Salvation is basically the suspension of all moral principles. if you can get into Heaven despite any sin, than Righteousness is no longer necessary. Indeed, Paul went so far as to preach that those who strove for Righteousness were REJECTING FAITH and trying to earn their way into Heaven, thus deserving Hell.

Honestly, if you know nothing -- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING -- about what you are pretending to criticize... if you have NOTHING to contribute... why don't you just READ UP, or SHUT UP.

8. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Leo, first off it's the "sermon ON the mount." Not "sermon OF the mount." Remember, mounts generally can't speak.

Secondly, the claim you made below is...well... outright wrong.

Here's what Paul himself says in Timothy Chapter 2 verse 22:

"Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

And you claim that only Paul teached abolition of the Law. Not even close. Jesus is the one who abolished the Jewish laws, including the law of the sabbath, and claimed, just like Paul, and that faith and righteousness was better than laws.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think i have the same answer, but the opposite meaning. the way i see it, there are tons of people who go to church, but a very few who actually live it 24/7. in my opinion, it has nothing to do with "going" to church. it has to do with "being" the church, hence my sig. there is a vast difference between the two activities. well, the former is an activity, and the latter a way of life that transends any and all activities. it's a faith, based upon knowledge that comes from experience. not the experience of sitting in a pew listening to a preacher, and not the experience of reading the bible, but of living every day of your life, and then relating that to the word of God, found in the Bible, and in the mouths of witnesses, and in your head, as you hear the voice of your shepherd speak to you personally. christianity is much deeper than a religion.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then they aren't Christians. This isn't some restaurant where you pick what you want, religion is religion. You either follow that religion, or you aren't that religion. Simple.

11. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

As far as I can tell, Jesus taught both that Salvation is by faith and also by keeping the Law. The Bible accounts, concerning Him, teach both ways of salvation. There are clear examples of each.

Paul also taught that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone (is by unmerited favor) and also that salvation is by works (is merited) and so is not by grace after all.

I can't even count how many times I have heard both of these contradictions taught in the very same sermon. It is common.

This is, incidentally, why there is such a great division in the worldwide Church over such a basic and critical tenant of the faith. Historically, Christians have even been willing to kill each other over the confusion that is taught in the Bible on this topic. If God wrote the Bible then He is clearly the author of all of this confusion Himself. If men wrote it then perhaps only those men can be blamed for it instead.

Why would anyone want to attribute the confusion, contradictions, and all of the evil that takes place in the Bible, to God?

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Some good ones from "The Man" on this subject:

13. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

I see what you saying. In either case, the Bible, like many other ancient texts, is very vague and makes general statements like "Be the salt of the earth and the light of the earth" and "if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out."

Instead of talking in odd metaphors, a more efficient way of delivering your word (God's word) would be to write out 10 or 20 of the most important basic fundamentals of reality (how do we serve God, what does God want, is there a God, etc.) in a simple format. I don't get the need for the stories and the parablea and everything else., That especially applies to the OT where there are thousands of wasted words and meaningless stories which help us ZERO.

But again, in the poll when I ask "how many people who claim to be christians actually live it (like Jesus, Paul), I'm talking about the basics:

- live poor, if you're wealthy give it all away because you should view wealth as a threat to your salvation (camel through a pinhead)

- love everyone, even your enemies, and treat one another with respect

- don't sin or do things God forbids (murder, etc.)

- don't be anxious or worry about material things (clothes, money, etc.)
    - don't divorce
    - etc.

These are the principles I'm talking about. Most "Christians" worry all the time about money, clothes, how they look to other people, etc. Most "Christians" don't love everyone, and talk about people behind their backs (or right to their face) with something mean to say. Most "Christians" never think about God or Jesus at all during the day except the rare moments when they either pray or if the name "Jesus" is mentioned.

Notice how "Christians" is in quotes, meaning not true Christians. To me, a true Christian, one who lives it, is one who lives like Jesus and Paul did, such as by the principles mentioned above. I'm not saying its easy to live that way, nor am I saying I live that way (I don't), nor am I saying that God really does require all of that from us (assuming he exists).

It's true though, if Jesus lived in a capatalist society today and somehow became a wealthy billionaire, who here would deny that he would give away every last penny of that money (besides bare minimum) to the poor? You can't deny it, because he would do that. So, how many Christians really live by the phrase, "What Would Jesus Do?" Very few.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  14. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Well, according to the Bible itself, there are none that actually do this, only pretenders. Certainly not Paul, even though he claimed in his arrogance to have kept the Law perfectly, and dare I say it, not even Jesus apparently lived a perfect life.

Even right now, Jesus is supposed to have all of the wealth and resources in the entire universe at His command, and yet He refuses to personally give one cent, even the most basic necessities of food and shelter to thousands of children on this earth. They die penniless every single day by the hundreds and thousands. Does this help them see the love of God or does this cause them to feel cursed and hated by God? I think they feel helpless, hopeless, and abandoned as they die.

Jesus surely does not then live by His very own stated concepts of morality, does He?

I wish it were not so but that is how it appears to me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008