Are sonic booms a crime ?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mr.Spock, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

thoughts anyone? :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

During its operation in the Gaza Strip following the abduction of Cpl. Gilad Shalit, Israeli air force jets have carried out low-altitude sorties over the Gaza Strip in which they intentionally cause powerful sonic booms. The air force has used sonic booms a number of times since the completion of the Gaza disengagement plan. In the present operation, the air force has caused three or four sonic-boom sorties a night.

The sole purpose of these sorties is to prevent the residents from sleeping and to create an ongoing sense of fear and anxiety. Regarding the sonic booms, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said that, "thousands of residents in southern Israel live in fear and discomfort, so I gave instructions that nobody will sleep at night in the meantime in Gaza ." The clear intention of the practice is to pressure the Palestinian Authority and the armed Palestinian organizations by harming the entire civilian population.

Children, in particular, suffer from the sonic booms. In the past, the Gaza Community Mental Health Center reported that the supersonic sorties caused fear among many children, which led to a loss of concentration, loss of appetite, bedwetting, and other disorders. The Center also reported that sonic booms caused headaches, stomach aches, shortness of breath, and other physical effects that appeared among both children and adults. Sonic booms also cause property damage, primarily shattered windows.

The use of sonic booms flagrantly breaches a number of provisions of international humanitarian law. The most significant provision is the prohibition on collective punishment. Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which is intended to protect civilians in time of war, categorically states that "Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited." The article also states that, "Reprisals against protected persons and their property are prohibited." Air force supersonic sorties also breach the principle of distinction, a central pillar of humanitarian law, which forbids the warring sides to direct their attacks against civilians.

In November 2005 , Physicians for Human Rights- Israel and the Gaza Community Mental Health Center appealed to the Israeli H igh C ourt of J ustice against the use of sonic booms. The appeal is still pending. PHR-Israel plans to file an additional appeal on the topic in the coming days.

B'Tselem calls for an immediate halt to the use of the sonic booms.

http://www.btselem.org/english/Special/20060703_Supersonic_booms.asp

• There have been series of sonic booms reported over the Gaza Strip caused by IAF aircraft flying at low altitude and breaking the sound barrier. Between 24 – 28 September there were 29 sonic booms recorded and since 24 October until 14:00 hours 31 October a further 28 have been experienced (total of 57). These sonic booms were mostly caused during the evenings and early mornings when children were going to school and people beginning their workday.

• The use of sonic booms by the IDF has caused physical damage and had psychological effects on Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip. UNRWA reported that more than 350 windows and doors were destroyed or damaged in their facilities in the Gaza Strip as a result of shock waves associated with the sonic booms in September. Many private and public institutions, including schools, were also damaged. Provisional information from health clinics in the Gaza Strip report increased signs of psychological stress in the population, particularly amongst children.
    http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/fd...fb682b9d4d26dede852570ad0069f3e4!OpenDocument

Citing studies and surveys carried out separately by academic institutions, NGOs and the Palestinian Authority, UNICEF reported that 75 per cent of Palestinian adults think children are experiencing greater emotional problems and changes in behaviour compared with a year ago. Sleep-related problems are the most common form of psychological distress among children reporting problems. These include nightmares, bed-wetting, insomnia, and irregular sleeping patterns.

"Fear is also common," said Poupard. "Fear of darkness, fear of sleeping alone, leaving the house, strangers, loud noises and sudden movements. Children find it difficult to concentrate. Some are more anxious and irritable. Children are experiencing psychosomatic symptoms, such as headaches, stomach cramps and skin problems. And others are withdrawing from friends and family, rebelling or becoming aggressive themselves."

Studies show that children in refugee camps, poor children and girls between the ages of 5 and 14 are among the most vulnerable. Among very young children (up to age 5) the most common signs of distress are crying and clinging to parents. For children ages 6-12, aggression and rebellion are more common signs of fear and anxiety. Older children, ages 13-18, are more likely to suffer from risk-taking behaviour, a sense of helplessness, frustration and withdrawal.

http://www.unicef.org/newsline/01pr87.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

ho the poor Palestinians, ill bet sonic booms are far worse then rockets in your backyard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

they lost their appetite's??? horrible!!! nuke israel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its all derived from a very important instance of history:

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Sonic booms are illegal in the United States for civilian aircraft over land.

9. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

technically, or by definition, often not.
    but ethically yes.

10. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

what about firing rockets on your neighbors? is that a crime? :shrug:

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yea, that is generally frowned upon as well.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

We here in the United States have learned to get along with our neighbors. Granted, we may think of correcting Bennedict Arnold's failure in Canada from time to time. But generally we like our neighbors.

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

still grinding the memory of the holocaust victims? i thought you leave something for future generations.

you compare us to the NAZIS so many times, i think the term NAZI lost its meaning.

15. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

how would you feel if your neighbor would shoot at you for cutting him health care? especially if he is not paying for it.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If he shot at me, he would be arrested at tried in a court of law. If found guilty by a jury of his peers, he would be sent to jail. I certianly would not shoot back if I could avoid doing so. Just an outside unbiased opinion, people in the Middle East seem to like vengance too much me thinks. Forgiveness would be much more productive to both sides.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here:
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/comment/reply/11685

And here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4402326.stm

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

A little respect for each other would go a long ways as well.

19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

well if he shot at you, and the courts would say he is poor, and victimized, and they cant do a thing, so instead theyll use sonic booms to make him loose hes appetite, how will that make you feel?

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Tribal cultures. They're still taking vengeance on each other for things that happened 1300 years ago. And we think the residual enmity from the Civil War is bad!

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The court would not come to that conclusion. But if it did, I would have to abide by it...else there would be chaos. When George II first came to the presidency he did so by an unprecidented action of the Supreme Court of the United States.
    Im my mind and in the minds of legal scholars, the Republican dominated Supreme Court violated the law in rendering the decision that allowed Bush II to come to power. Even though I disagree wtih that decision and think it was a travesty of the Federal Government over riding State Government. I did not get out my guns and start shooting Republicans. That is not how one resolves conflicts.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Beats destroying a country for no good reason or imaginary WMDs or whatever.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What if the courts decide its legal to cut off basic supplies, electricity and fuel to 1.5 million people? What would people do?

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I would look at what Ghandi G taught us about revolution.