Is it morally Ethical to tell others what is morally correct?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by joepistole, Feb 5, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I have always been amazed that some folk think they are the ultimate arbiters of what is and is not ethical. So what does one need to be become a ethicist and is it ethical to do so?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

You are perhaps aware that you are doing the same thing here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

oooh, self-referential pwnage.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Parents are ethicists. It is their job to explain to their children what is right and wrong.

As for adults, it doesn't take much more than a computer and an internet connection to start telling people what is right and wrong. But people don't have to take your advice. Advice columnists, psychotherapists, and other counselors attain authority because their ideas of right and wrong withstand the test of time.

In the case of a psychotherapist there's a considerable body of formal study involved, but ultimately one's counsel must still be tested by those one counsels. In the case of an advice columnist you have to provide a sample that satisfies the sensibilities of the editor of a small newspaper. If he hires you he reads the letters that people write back about the validity of your advice. Eventually the editor of a larger paper will notice you and if you're really good some day you get to be Miss Manners or Ann Landers.

If you're just one old guy like me, giving advice to the younger generation on a website, the same thing is still happening. I don't get a lot of feedback but no one has written back to tell me my advice sucked and at least a handful of people have said it worked. It helps a lot to stick to subjects that you have some experience with. Duh.

This is the scientific method at work. You develop theories and people test them for you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That depends on what context you are using. If your a medical scientist then an ethics comittie will tell you what is ethical for your entire life. This is because one person cant be trusted to act in an ethical fasion all the time when there job is on the line. They also cant be trusted to KNOW what is ethical all the time

9. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I've noticed that you can't trust groups to act ethically or know what is ethical either. In fact many of the worst acts in history.....

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

true but an open ethics commity is more likly to act ethically than one lone doctor with a theory he wants to prove.

One specific example is what happened in the NZ hospital. A doctor was convinced that abnormal papsmears WONT become cirvical cancer. He did resurch to prove this WITHOUT telling the women what was happerning and ignoring the results that told him he was wrong. He killed god knows how many women by his "resurch". I wish i could give you a link to the story but i cant even rember if it was the 7:30 report or 4 corners. I will try to find a transcript of it if i can

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

DUDE. Your advice never sucked. even if i don't use it. ...

Everyone develops their own morals. Parents are guides, but eventually, what parents leave out society finishes..One way or the other. Is it ethical ? Yes, If you know enough about the subject matter and aren't a hypocrite. For example, Bill O reilly has no right to tell me who I may or may not screw, because he isn't me. Some things are best left to yourself and no one else. A non doctor has no right to tell a doctor what is morally correct in his/her line of work, because the non doctor hasn't been there. Again, no one person is the arbiter, rather its a society. Often, we don't have the credentials to tell people what to do , but we do it anyway. (why? I don't know).

Asguard:Yes, context. One who deals with life and death on a daily basis is more qualified to tell what is morally correct than a random protester etc.

On another note : Is it right for One civilization to tell others what is or is not morally correct, even though they may view the world differently.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Im sorry this is all i could find on it so far, if anyone knows any more i would welcome them posting it

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually your wrong about that. Non medical personal especially ethists are an essential part of ethics commities. I would LOVE to find more info on that case because it shows exactly WHY non medical personal are used as a PART of an ethical commitie

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

What, so the entire medical community is so fixated on finding a cure that it uses unethical means ?

15. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I get the gist of the story and I don't doubt in the least that such things happen. Probably people who end up wanting to be on ethics committees are less likely to, as a group, do henious things if they are chosen from a diverse set of backgrounds. This should create a kind of muddling middle way that will not satisfy or outrage the population as a whole now, though later in history they may seem to have done horrible things.

But this part of your post is on the rigged side:

Sure they would tend to act more ethically that unethical people.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I guess my issue with ethics professionals is when they try to start limiting technology. For example, if I wanted to clone myself, I would not want an ethicist telling me I could not do so...not that I would want to. I think medical ethicists are largely a waste!
    In this case, the ethicist is preventing me from accessing technology. Why gives him/her the right to prevent me from exercising my life the way I choose to? I am not hurting them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I don't know if it is morally ethical, but it is definitely ethically moral....

18. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

there are thousands of laws that restrict access to and use of technology.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

not all laws are ethical

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a tough call that probably has to be made on a case-by-case basis. We libertarians are convinced that no human being ever has the right to kill another, except in self-defense against an immediate threat. This means that we can't support societies that believe in honor killings. We will all try to convince them to stop.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Challenger we study ethics as part of our degree. That is where i came across this case in class.

To start that class we were given a senario on abnormal papsmear resurch and we had to decide if as an ethics commity we would alow it and if we did what strictures we would put in place. I would like to say that every group voted to alow the resurch BUT we would have had uninvoled gynocologists checking the results with a view to the womens health rather than the resurch and we would have had pycologists checking that the women understood what they were getting into. After all medical resurch RARLY benifits those its tested on.

After we had made our desion we were told that it wasnt a hypothetical it was based on a real case and we watched that video. It made me sick to see not only the abuse by the resurcher but also the medical proffessionals who looked the other way. Including a pathologist (i think) from a hospital in England (again im not sure but i know he was an international doctor not atached to the hospital involved) who said that this theroy had been disproved already AND that he was harming his patient but STILL never went to the health department, the media OR the courts to STOP the unethical resurch

I have found what i THINK is the inquiry on this so it will hopefully be my next post (i just want to read through it first before posting it)

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

This is from a book on the cartwright inquiry and doctor Green

This is from the summery of the incidence

Now if you have made it this low down my post congratulations

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously though this incident made me sick not because people died, people DO die in medical resurch but because there was no informed concent to the resurch. The women didnt even KNOW they weren't being given the standed treatment. Whats worse NO ONE spoke out about it and DELT with the situation. Not the other senior doctors who felt it wasnt there place to invove themselves in another doctors work. Not the journor doctors or nurses who Dr Green intimdated and NOT the hospital administration when it was reported to them

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Much of ethics seems to me to be just good old common sense. Am I missing something?